We need better security to prevent underaged users

The only issue with this is that they can’t. They are required by law to remove them.

you never shouldve told that your 4 years, even for a joke, especially on online platforms, basically it’s your fault, suppose some 5 year old kid joins and tell " I’m 5 ", so what would the mod do? he would of course not ignore it and continue, and would proceed to ban

Pretty sure a 4 year old doesnt own a 3k dollars gaming setup, isnt 5’8, and knows grammar and 4 leanguages. Its just lazy moderation. Like roblox but better

The most correct and sure proof way to go about this is by using ID verification using a third party website. Cough Veratad

It is not likely at all that the forum moderators will go searching through the forum for users using web.roblox.com links, and henceforward, manually verify if said users are actually over 13+ or not. Those who have used this forum for quite some time know that the moderation team is under strain. Post-approval is discontinued, as has been being able to be promoted to regular.

If anything, there should be a system that automatically requires visitors to supply an ID when they get ranked to Member.

4 Likes

Yeah, devforum is 13+, not 18+… Whoever place you live is weird for giving 13 y/o a ID

One thing you could do is to talk to them in voice chat.

Giving a 13 y/o an ID isn’t very weird.

3 Likes

Your ID could easily just be your Birth Certificate, anything official with your DOB and Name is an ID.

(Sorry for replying to you, crazedbrick.)

1 Like

I believe that for now, we should stick to detecting web.roblox links, because this is the only way we can tell that a user is <13.

Let’s not go down the voice chat route and require users to show proof of an ID; I don’t think underage users are that big of an issue to start requiring ID verification to use DevForum, just to show proof that you are 13.

If we really want to ensure that users are over 13 without providing an ID, we could require users to sign in with a third party platform like Discord but this would also be problematic since there is a portion of the DevForum that do not use these platforms, and there are still some underage users on there like on any platform.

For now, let’s just stick with detecting web.roblox links, and encourage users to flag posts where users say they are under 13.

2 Likes

Actually, doesn’t matter since Discord links are only banned in #bulletin-board

1 Like

Even this isn’t a valid tactic as there are many cases in wherepeople copy links from other users which may have web.roblox.com in them.

And on top of this in order to join the forum you account must be set as 13+ meaning you would have www.roblox.com

1 Like

But what underage users do to bypass this is they make an alt account that’s over 13 to join the DevForum. They usually link their <13 main on their DevForum profile description.

When a user is logged into their underage main on Roblox, and in their overage alt on DevForum, they somethimes copy things like website links and paste them on their different account on DevForum.

This happens very rarely because most 13+ users know about the web.roblox trick and will change it to www.roblox.

However, there is still a chance of false bans from the forum.

2 Likes

I’m not making the case to ban Discord links. OP focused this feature request on recruitment issues which can at least be mitigated by privately giving out Discord contact details so signed out <13 users cannot access this.

It’s only a quick-fix suggestion but it will make a difference until something permanent is implemented.

2 Likes

The problem is that we should to come up with this permanent solution first, remember that users that fake their age can see Discord social links so it shouldn’t be much of a problem.

I like the idea I do agree with you however I would see roblox struggle to see a permanent feature.

I don’t think there is any possible permanent solution, that doesn’t violate any laws.

Doesn’t have to be an ID, can be anything else that proves your date of birth. Whether that is an ID, driver’s license, those cards you get from your school, heck even your baptism certificate makes do.

2 Likes

What if they made it so that if you sent a web.roblox link then your profile would be investigated? Sort of like the discord invite situation except silent. DET (or whoever manages those types of things) could look in the profile and see if they consistently post web.roblox links and are generally immature.

2 Likes

Overall when it comes to age security I would only personally work with those willing to VC and talk. It’s a pretty reliable system that ensures most of the time you’re working with professional individuals who are likely to be 13+.
This is pretty common practice on Discord moderation teams where you do a text application and then get in a call with the reviewer. And this should almost guarantee that who you’re working with is trustable, and if they bypass this system as a kid, that still goes to show they’re smarter than some average kid trying to pass themselves as 13+.

1 Like