We need the ability to view & export logs at-scale from servers and clients

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to view the log history of both servers and clients, at-scale. If I wish to view the log message history of specific servers or clients, I have to set up & configure my own logging solution. This isn’t ideal, as:

• I am not a web developer, and I cannot afford to employ one at the time of writing this post
  • 3rd party log aggregation services are very expensive and are hard to maintain

This results in unnecessary friction for something that is otherwise as simple as “I want to view the server logs of the server that hosted the QA test”.

Being able to view / tail the log messages being created by both servers and all their connected clients is extremely valuable for debugging & maintaining a game. When a bug or security incident occurs, logs are a very valuable piece of information that can save the game’s developers a lot of time and aggravation trying to piece together information.

As such, we need the ability to view & export logs from any server or client that we choose. Ideally, this could also have opencloud APIs connected to the feature so that we can make use of things like kabana graphs. AnalyticsService does have a FireLogEvent API for games that are making use of the playfab program, however this API is extremely rate-limited and does not allow batch-requests. This makes it effectively useless for any sort of logging at-scale, which defeats the entire purpose of having logging events in the first place.

Roblox’s vision is to empower creators to create and maintain their experiences. We can’t do this if we can’t even view logs for servers we weren’t in!

27 Likes

The need for this feature is even greater now, since the playfab program has been shut down. Not only are we unable to view server & client logs at-scale, we also aren’t able to query error logs that are happening in production. Playfab made this possible, but that is gone now.

3 Likes