Welcoming Byfron to Roblox

This announcement itself has converted synapse x into a monthly paid subscription. This will cause a massive decrease in exploiters from what I’ve seen. Apparently scriptware has plans to do the same. This may be false info however…

2 Likes

Hope not lol. Really hate choppy frames.

4 Likes

Same, i have a really good pc rather not play roblox at :nauseated_face: 60 fps

4 Likes

As aforementioned in here: https://devforum.roblox.com/t/so-roblox-just-acquired-an-anti-cheat-company/2022206/3
Byfron has some big people working on it.
One of them was an ex-nsa employee. So i’m actually glad we have some people with experience working on this company.

6 Likes

Im really unsure about this future update. this AC(from a company with kinda unfamous history of making ACs, yes, im talking about you, Hyperion!) will lead to many, and i mean many false positives. Like, the Roblox is not a single game, its a platform with a ton of games, and Byfron can’t just make a single AC for all of these games. No doubt that i could get myself banned just by editing my walkspeed with a localscript, lol.
Well, its not that bad. Atleast some of exploits will die and it will cut off very huge chunk of exploiters overall.

–Quick update after almost a year. I was kinda wrong about what i said, because it’s an anti-tamper, not a full anti-cheat. Though bypassed already by Windows UWP version, i think x64 is not bypassed yet.

1 Like

While I wish to say this is good, I simply cannot, due to many issues I find with anti-cheat.
My main concerns are performance, false bans, Grapejuice, and client-scripts.

Client-side scripts
Most cheater basically just run modified/their scripts through an injector, which (other than injecting) is the same thing as a local script.

Say we have a spectator script that highlights all the players, this is basically a conditional wall-hack.

if(isSpectating) then
    highlightPlayers()
end

all a cheater would do is:

if(true) then
    highlightPlayers()
end

or

highlightPlayers()

Roblox is simply too broad to just

robust is not enough, Roblox is a platform we have games such as Doors (most actions are synced with the server), that use the Roblox engine as intended, and then we have games that push the engine to its limits such as Phantom forces (view models, client/server hit registration)

The other problem is, Roblox already has client-side anti-cheat. You can go to any cheating forum, and they describe the detection measures Roblox uses. Due to the innate nature of local scripts desynchronization will occur, I have no idea how Roblox would create a server-side anti-cheat.

Performance
I don’t think I need to talk about performance and overhead as we are all developers here.

Grapejuice
Grapejuice is a custom Wine implementation for Roblox so that it may run on Linux.
I know Linux users such as myself are the minority of minorities, but this needs to be addressed in my opinion. I use Grapejuice to play Roblox on my Linux system, and games with invasive anti-cheat just don’t run.

False bans/alt-accounts
I have alts, I don’t want my alts being banned. I use my alts to do things such as replay games, and mess around doing things that may get me banned from a game (not violating the Roblox TOS)
Highly biased, I know, but still there are legitimate reasons to have an alt.
I don’t need to say much about false bans, they’ll exist.

Overall, I think this will just be a negative as cheaters will just bypass the anti-cheat, and players will get lower performance :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

3 Likes

Who are they hurting by lowering the difficulty of a horror game? Are they jeopardizing the competitive integrity of a competitive game? :alien:

2 Likes

I too don’t see the issue with using shaders in dark games. Like yes, they aren’t intended to be used like that, but still. Banning them over some Horror game is just stupid.

1 Like

Client-Sided Anti-Cheat will cause performance issues, which is a big issue for large games with a large amount of parts… I’m not looking forward to this.

1 Like

Byfron is anti-tamper not anti-cheat.
Byfron is meant to run with another AC with it.
That is unless roblox somehow convinced nemi to make byfron a stand-alone anticheat rather than a general anti-tamper tool.

Really hope you guys would put at least some effort in protecting .byfron dll in your launcher! Because from what it seems people have already seem to deobf the original dll for byfron., also not to mention byfron is usermode.

Sick. Finally a great update for us fellow developers.

2 Likes

it’s an anti debugger, using localscripts will not tamper with the executable outside of the lua vm unless you find some wack sandbox escape vuln

Modifying the lighting allows script kiddies to find knobs (paid in-game currency) faster/easier than the other players in their session that aren’t exploiting. Clearly, we have different ideologies of what’s right and what’s wrong…

If you’re playing a solo “horror” game then sure, use premade exploits all you want. However, in the case of DOORS modifying the lighting does affect other players, even if the gameplay isn’t competitive.

@SwitchedDreams

The whole point of an anti-exploit is to stop/mitigate exploiters from having an unfair advantage over players that play in an intended way.

2 Likes

Well, I guess this is useless then!
Byfron was used by other games previously and was INCREDIBLY easy to bypass.
Watch as all the exploit programs swiftly bypass this and do stuff never meant to be done by the client anyway.

3 Likes

Please tell me this will become optional for once and not forced like everything else :sob:

2 Likes

I think Byfron will make an AC too, because just an anti-tamper thing just useless by itself(atleast against roblox exploiters) /shrug.

I am glad Roblox is finally doing something about exploiters but I have a lot of questions. First of all, what does this mean for experiences with admin commands? Commands like that helps creators better access their game like flying, invisibility, etc. If these modify the player… would it be flagged? Secondly… the alt detection. Siblings, group holder accounts, room mates, testing accounts, what is to happen with them? would they get flagged too? plus, most exploiters these times use VPNs so will this alt detection even be reliable? Other than those, I still find it great that Roblox is at least trying to put an end to exploiters.

thanks alot roblox now i cant test my ban systems and stuff like that and someone near me cannot play roblox with me thanks so much

3 Likes

People get what im saying either way. But thanks for the very useful and contributing correction!

2 Likes