Welcoming Byfron to Roblox

I have a quick question.
Will players using the FPS unlocker be affected by this?
I know that it uses code to get rid of the barrier so you can have more FPS.
Just making sure people are not going to be effected by this.

5 Likes

I cant wait to see this implemented! This is one of the greatest soon to come update’s this year.

1 Like

Nice to see an anti cheat being added, but I have a concern: Will the client-sided anti cheat be running at kernel level? I’m not against a client sided anti cheat, but I am against a kernel level client sided anti cheat. I’m not going to run something and give it full control and access to my operating system. Will this be kernel level?

I think an anti cheat is needed, and I’m glad to see one is being implemented, but I refuse to run a closed source software, and give it full control over everything on my system.

Overall, good update, this was needed, but I am a bit concerned on whether or not the anti cheat is kernel level.

1 Like

its not a kernel level anticheat

2 Likes

Including Steam Deck. Which runs SteamOS, a Linux-based operating system with Proton installed to give it an ability to run almost all user-level Windows programs on Linux. Recently it surpassed more than 1,5 millions of sales, so today and even 2023 Linux shouldn’t be as ‘small minority’ as years ago.
Even with that Roblox still needs to improve their moderation & make the AC opt-out by default (so the devs will have a choice to enable it or not, the competitive games can just enable it & games with unique mechanics won’t trigger any false positives.) so the updates regarding of the AC can keep up.

2 Likes

How do you know? I tried to find out but didn’t find much. Could you link whatever it is you found?

1 Like

Roblox already does this, actually. I think Roblox’s exploit detection right now is what causes the client’s “tainted” state.

1 Like

Exploits can still call Instance.new then write the instance’s parent property’s pointer in memory to CoreGui’s memory address, cutting out the lua middleman. This would effectively undermine any ChildAdded events etc, among other things. :rofl:

2 Likes

Finally, I hope this new anti-cheat software come soon. This is a great investment! I am excited for this.

1 Like

I don’t see an issue with making a horror game’s ambience less scary…

3 Likes

Yep! If they also work well on almost all configurations including SteamDeck Linux and Roblox gave every devs a choice to turn the anticheat on or off to prevent triggering false positives on certain game mechanics.

3 Likes

Client side im guessing is a anti cheat that detects malicious apps runnijg in the background. Alot of games have a client sided anti cheat that checks whats running.

Ant detection you could use hardware or IP to detect different accounts. (Probably why they pushing the desktop app so much)

2 Likes

They’re using a third-party program to bypass the game’s intended mechanics. If a Roblox “horror” game that’s rated for all ages is too scary for you then go play a tycoon or obby instead of downloading programs that modify the Roblox client.

2 Likes

This announcement itself has converted synapse x into a monthly paid subscription. This will cause a massive decrease in exploiters from what I’ve seen. Apparently scriptware has plans to do the same. This may be false info however…

2 Likes

Hope not lol. Really hate choppy frames.

4 Likes

Same, i have a really good pc rather not play roblox at :nauseated_face: 60 fps

4 Likes

As aforementioned in here: https://devforum.roblox.com/t/so-roblox-just-acquired-an-anti-cheat-company/2022206/3
Byfron has some big people working on it.
One of them was an ex-nsa employee. So i’m actually glad we have some people with experience working on this company.

6 Likes

Im really unsure about this future update. this AC(from a company with kinda unfamous history of making ACs, yes, im talking about you, Hyperion!) will lead to many, and i mean many false positives. Like, the Roblox is not a single game, its a platform with a ton of games, and Byfron can’t just make a single AC for all of these games. No doubt that i could get myself banned just by editing my walkspeed with a localscript, lol.
Well, its not that bad. Atleast some of exploits will die and it will cut off very huge chunk of exploiters overall.

–Quick update after almost a year. I was kinda wrong about what i said, because it’s an anti-tamper, not a full anti-cheat. Though bypassed already by Windows UWP version, i think x64 is not bypassed yet.

1 Like

While I wish to say this is good, I simply cannot, due to many issues I find with anti-cheat.
My main concerns are performance, false bans, Grapejuice, and client-scripts.

Client-side scripts
Most cheater basically just run modified/their scripts through an injector, which (other than injecting) is the same thing as a local script.

Say we have a spectator script that highlights all the players, this is basically a conditional wall-hack.

if(isSpectating) then
    highlightPlayers()
end

all a cheater would do is:

if(true) then
    highlightPlayers()
end

or

highlightPlayers()

Roblox is simply too broad to just

robust is not enough, Roblox is a platform we have games such as Doors (most actions are synced with the server), that use the Roblox engine as intended, and then we have games that push the engine to its limits such as Phantom forces (view models, client/server hit registration)

The other problem is, Roblox already has client-side anti-cheat. You can go to any cheating forum, and they describe the detection measures Roblox uses. Due to the innate nature of local scripts desynchronization will occur, I have no idea how Roblox would create a server-side anti-cheat.

Performance
I don’t think I need to talk about performance and overhead as we are all developers here.

Grapejuice
Grapejuice is a custom Wine implementation for Roblox so that it may run on Linux.
I know Linux users such as myself are the minority of minorities, but this needs to be addressed in my opinion. I use Grapejuice to play Roblox on my Linux system, and games with invasive anti-cheat just don’t run.

False bans/alt-accounts
I have alts, I don’t want my alts being banned. I use my alts to do things such as replay games, and mess around doing things that may get me banned from a game (not violating the Roblox TOS)
Highly biased, I know, but still there are legitimate reasons to have an alt.
I don’t need to say much about false bans, they’ll exist.

Overall, I think this will just be a negative as cheaters will just bypass the anti-cheat, and players will get lower performance :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

3 Likes

Who are they hurting by lowering the difficulty of a horror game? Are they jeopardizing the competitive integrity of a competitive game? :alien:

2 Likes