What are good methods of expanding my LUA knowledge?

I haven’t really pushed the boundaries of LUA recently in my developing career, as I find myself being too busy in the past, or outsourcing it to developers I work with/people I hire.

Recently I’ve started to notice I’ve been lacking and need to catch up or be left behind, especially if I want to do anything on or off of ROBLOX with coding.

I know that the wiki is the obvious answer to this, but I’m looking for something that goes ore in-depth/has a more tutorial basis to it rather than essentially a dictionary.

Does anyone have any recommendations for tools/sites that could help me broaden my LUA knowledge?

I’ve replied to a similar thread like this on how to learn more about “Lua” (not capitalized as it’s not an acronym :wink: )

Check it out here: Help with advancing my scripting experience?

Make games.

Keep in mind that you don’t have to know everything (and nobody will ever know everything when it comes to anything) in order to program things. The best learning is always done when it is in an attempt to find a solution to a problem, rather than for the sake of learning.

As you increase your experience, your knowledge will increase, and you will start to get a solid grasp on the principles of Lua (and programming in general).

Knowledge is one thing; solving problems requires you to think outside of the box. By engaging with complex projects and building your experience, you are expanding the box.

5 Likes

At a point you reach a certain area where you have the knowledge to solve your problem, but what if there are more efficient ways of solving a problem, how do you learn new stuff to?

Are you talking about efficiency as in performance? There’s always a more performant way to program something, the question is whether it actually helps significantly and whether it’s worth the time. The principles of making code more performant are relatively similar no matter what problem you’re trying to solve

If you’re talking about time efficiency, that’s really in contrast to the above point (you can spend ages making something run super fast or you can make it run fast enough and go and do something else). Generally an iterative approach tends to be quite efficient (Iterative design - Wikipedia). Smashing out a basic skeleton of what you want to achieve, testing what works, and adding more layers of functionality as you go is more time efficient than trying to create the masterpiece right away.