What are the Benefits of using UnionOperation's

Hello,

So I was wondering what are the Benefits of UnionOperations besides Compacting Parts?

Thanks.

I believe it’s just good for combining multiple parts into one, or making stuff you can really make with parts like hollow cylinders. They are pretty bad at performance so I would just learn Blender.

1 Like

Union Operations are capable of combining parts to create more complicated shapes. They are calculated within studio. However, they are extremely inefficient. I would not recommend using them simply to merge lots of parts into one, as lots of parts sharing common geometry can still be group-rendered but custom geometry unions cannot. While they are fine for maybe a few one-off pieces, you should really use meshes where the geometry is going to be repeated.

Unions can be live edited in studio and even scripts/plugins can create them, but importing meshes from an external program is more performant in the long term.

:confused:

Very big benefit of Unions is that they can be created in live game.
But you should be very carefull with them, bc 1 bad union and your game won’t be able to make them again for long time. So, if you want make bullet hole in wall - everything fine.
If you want make union of 100 parts in the same spot with diffirent rotations - unioning will break.

Usually to Avoid this, I would Create Seperate Unions, and then Union the Unions

I tried this method. Not work in most cases.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.