What are we going to do with the Development Discussion Category?

Exactly right here. EXACTLY

Exactly

RESOURCE FOR DEVELOPERS, not a hangout game! It is not a chatroom like poo.com and Omegle.
It is for serious aspiring developers looking for help, giving help, like incapaz hiring people to work on the next front page game, anything!

Probably just some sort of PA with platform feedback has. There’s so many topics on useless stuff that has no relevance to Development on ROBLOX.

1 Like

But it would relegate most of those “low quality” posts to a category that you could mute, no?

Well, wouldn’t it? Keeping all the posts to a post approval process ensures that only the high effort, high quality posts that are unique be posted?

That’s why Discord servers exists. If you want to talk off-topic, either talk in Discord servers or work up to get Regular to access lounge.

2 Likes

This is the developer forum, not the player forum. That is what #lounge:roblox-discussion could be for but again it’s in lounge, and lounge has some potentially sensitive content so it can’t be opened up.

The old forums were closed because of the amount of toxicity there. A general discussion category will have the same problems. Then as soon as non-developers find out that the developer forum has a category for general discussion they will join just for that category and not for actual participation in the development community discussions and such

1 Like

But there isn’t a formal process to obtain the Regular rank. Roblox is pretty hush hush when it comes to that.

That likely explains why so many people are many posts of questionable quality - to try and get attention from Post Approval/DevRel/Whatever in order to obtain that rank.

Exactly. Or everyone would only be on the forum for the Regular rank. You get it by participating in the forum and being a help.

Yes they’re is. All you have to do is make contributive posts, have a clean moderation history, and best advice is make good posts in #platform-feedback but PA phased out, so your going to have to wait to work up.

1 Like

That’s not a process. Those are guidelines.

Posting just for the sake of posting has never been a way to get promoted to regular, lol. That is why there are several topics here in #forum-feedback asking about the replacements. You could contact dev rel yourself if you wanted to.

1 Like

Either way, it’s how you get regular. I’m working up to get Regular too, you just have to be patient and make contributive posts on the Dev Forum. Who knows, maybe you’ll get it one day. Just help out.

1 Like

There we go, simple as that. But one thing, Roblox doesn’t officially support discord for everything…
This is a developer forum, not for people who play roblox and created a part in RobloxStudio and call themselves a developer, it means spend hours and hours creating things you end up deleting! At least 50+ projects that didn’t go well, collaborating with other developers and connecting with other developers for feedback!

Incapaz is right, hes always right tbh there has to be a change and I am not standing down as a developer of this platform. They have to read the rules. It is not something to breeze through. There are an astonishing amount of rule-breaking posts everyday. Trying to get to Regular? Don’t post just to post. Help out, get a reputation. incapaz is a perfect example:
He helps out, hes answered thousands of questions in a category that he does: programming
He programs, so he programs. He answers questions in that category, he does this for the sake of helping people, not for the sake to post.

1 Like

Don’t you think that gatekeeping an abritrary label to someone is a bit counterproductive?

1 Like

How exactly is it counterproductive?

1 Like

Maybe, but not really, can you elaborate on it?

edit: oof what incapaz said he got it before me

I don’t understand as to how what he said is “counterproductive” lol.

Yeah I dont really follow what they meant

I want to talk about my take on this topic and railment.

As a developer who’s witnessed a lot of Development Discussion and arguments and low-quality ever since it was opened, I do see a lot of toxicity and off-topic topics in that category making some members or regulars having to mute the category itself or just flag these topics, I’m not being rude here, but not a lot of users don’t read the category rules/guidelines on what to post and how the topic should relate to the category itself.

However, there are some great and high-quality topics made by us members and regulars that are development and set a good example to other users, which I think helps me and others out a lot.

I’m not being rude to any regular or member who has made a low-quality topic with a single sentence with a poll and not a in-depth paragraph(s) and explanation, the quality of topics have dropped from 96% to almost 12 ~ 21% as I’ve flagged almost a lot of low-quality topics for not being Development and just posting for the sake of posting, not being biased here but it should be Regular+ for now and when a replacement for PA happens, Development Discussion should be going through PA if members want to make a topic in there.

^ Best solution? Flag them or flag them for moderation to close them down.

As mentioned above by incapaz or recanman, they should just open up a DM on discord or on the forums and invite some people instead of making a topic that isn’t “Development”, they think that “Development Discussion” is for Roblox discussion and probably ignore the “Developemnt” part and see “Discussion” and just make some sort of Roblox discussion topic.

The developers and community decided with all the answers and poll(s): Make it regular again until a replacement or something is a thing.

1 Like

As a platform, Roblox needs a constant influx of new players and developers to create and consume content. As such, newer developers who may be interested in learning about Roblox development would seek out resources, whether it’s a guide on Blender, Programming in Lua, or the Developer Forums.

These users may become members and start asking questions about development.

The gatekeeping of the label of “developer” (or similar) is counterproductive to the nature of the Developer Forums as a resource for newer developers as they may be inexperienced and need more time. Saying that they aren’t real developers based on ability or time spent does literally nothing to help further their growth and in this case is assigned in a very subjective manner.

I actually agree that something probably needs to be done to improve the experience of the forums, but I can’t back OP because of their attitude towards others.

1 Like