What are we going to do with the Development Discussion Category?

Who said that members weren’t developers though? lol

1 Like

Not always. Some members are just roblox players, who like I said earlier just make a couple blocks in RobloxStudio and call themself a developer. Paste from devforum and devhub and scripting helpers, lots of people like that in here.

OP also conveniently decided to put developers in their first post in quotation marks.

Just because they’re members doesn’t mean they’re not developers.

Ok, I get thats a bit harsh but I mean a serious and dedicated developer.

I think that their should be a way for members to post if it gets restricted to regular only. Make it so that only members with less than 3 flagged posts can actually create a topic

Well uh, lots of people flag posts for no reason. Lots of my posts were flagged and some deleted when I was a bit newer to the devforum.

1 Like

Yeah, maybe a different condition to be able to make a topic but the same system, you have to have less than x amount of y to make a topic

I’ve stopped using the DevForum entirely, its just full of useless spam and users I’ve never heard of that try and sound like they know stuff but they don’t…

10 Likes

I’m pretty new so I guess I’m one of those. But the better I get at 3d modeling I hope to be able to sound more professional on the DevForum

Just because I posted one irrelevant post does not mean that you have to shut it down or whatever. I was already contacted by an admin and it was discussed and it wont happen again :roll_eyes:

That is not the point. And nobody is saying you specifically. The point is there are more bad posts than people flagging. This is a systematic problem, so we want a scalable solution.

I know! I am just mad that he included my link up there when it was just a simple mistake

I agree, I have done it too. And it was foolish that I even contemplated creating the topics I made in The Developer Discussion. I know I’ll do better. But there needs to be a controlled system that can let genuine members create topics while leaving out the spammers

Make topic creation Regular only.
My opinions on a similar topic

Honestly it’s pretty stupid if they make it regular only. Few people can get into the DevForum. As few people can become regular. Your going to get more discussion posts anyways, this time in wrong categories.

Also, if someone has a discussion question, what the heck are they going to do? Restricted updates will lose out on forum activity and most developers would move to other roblox developer forum sites.

They can just make a rule, and if they don’t… Just flag it!

Also you sending links to low-effort posts seems like your excluding with the community.

also isnt this post considered spam then? those links you sent had questions that could be answered and not a what do you think.

1 Like

And yet again, members victimizing themselves to try making a point. Flagging is not the ultimate solution, there are more bad posts than people flagging, so we can’t just flag. We want this in the meantime, since devrel hasn’t implemented the replacement for post approval yet.

The majority of #development-discussion posts are just posts that belong in #help-and-feedback, general Roblox questions, or straight up completely-off-topic-to-Roblox stuff. Luckily the off-topic-to-Roblox stuff has lowered, but we still get very vague discussions. We get anything even closely related to “development” like “how much robux have you made”, “what do your parents think about you making games”, “what have you spent with your devex money”, “what have you spent with your first robux from development”, “what is your dream limited item”, and I can keep going. They are not discussing the art of making things, which the old description used to be. “For discussing the art of making things on Roblox.”

Now with the description change it allows for a broader variety of topics to appear, which I have been hesitant to flag because I could end up flagging the entire front page.

3 Likes

Sadly no one reads the rules. So it’s understandable why these posts pop up.

For the meantime, Discussion should be allowed for regulars-only. There’s an influx of topics that are irrelevant and/or derail off to the point where the actual discussion replies are unrelated to the topic.

Wow! Discussion has popped off while I was asleep. Let’s go over a review:
@wravager it is not completely full of spam, there are still lots of good discussions that happen sometimes. I wouldn’t say quit the DevForum, just look for

As @sjr04 said, I’m tired (and many other people too) of constantly flagging posts that have no meaning or affiliation with actual development.

@Jarix46 that is completely fine, everyone has done it, even the sages.

@PlayerChisom so you’re closing out the DevForum to everyone as you cannot rank up to Regular without making meaningful posts. Making TOPIC CREATION simply Regular-only prevents aspiring new developers from reaching out to people. (@Hexultic has a good point.)

As incapaz has said, they are victimizing themselves to make it look like the flaggers are the wrong here.like Apple vs Epic Games, Epic Games is victimizing themselves (you can read more).

@Xx_FROSTBITExX that isn’t completely true? Lot’s of people have read the rules. It’s just the habit between for frequent flyers on the internet to accept ToS and agreements without reading them. Even I have done that! But I have read the rules for the DevForum.

Well that was a mouthful. I don’t think we should back down just yet, not just the #development-discussion category, for so many more categories and to enforce better rules for new New Members.

1 Like

Most members on the developer forum are okay, but some members just make really bad posts. If you can’t make a contributing post/question/resource, make a contributing reply. If you can’t do that, agree with a contributing post by liking it. If you can’t do that, then you should just view posts. Simple. However, sometimes people make mistakes. I respect that, but choosing to willingly create just a non-contributive post/reply is not doing a help to others, and is more of hurting yourself.

The best solution imo is by simply bringing back psa or making it go through det.

Honestly, I see it as pathetic if someone knew what they did wrong but they are so incomptent that person cannot accept it, and instead complain with det.

Long time dev-forum regulars will roll their eyes every time they see some user make some dumb post such as, “What are you planning to buy irl through your dev-exed money?”