What are you working on currently? (2017)

Welcome to Roblox, where we create amazing creations by (ab)using the wrong things.

5 Likes

Made a timer to show when prisoners can be unlocked, probably gonna add another one to show when they can be locked up again

tenor

Elaborate please

1 Like

Figured out how to render idle & render with distribution!

Managed to make my renderer work magnitudes faster (doesn’t scale perfectly, but around 8x-9x faster from my preliminary testing). It sends bits of the image to be rendered to each client. Clients send everything to server. Once the entire thing is rendered all clients get a copy of the render. Clients are again given chunks to render, except this time they do Post-Processing.

Results are pretty cool.

Old render system: 168.4 seconds
New render system: 19.3 seconds

Here’s the picture rendered with AA on the new render system. It’s rendering 4x the pixels yet still finishes in under 100 seconds - over a minute sooner than the old render system.

test

Next is reflections, transparency, neon, textures, & bump maps! I’m finally able to move on now that I’ve helped reduce my performance bottleneck a bit.

16 Likes

You should make a blog site & post your updates on there.
I’d love to see a more in-depth look on how you do some of this stuff.

4 Likes

There was a thread involving private modules, and it got me thinking that I could figure out the contents of the module by replacing its environment with dummy values that report when they’re being accessed. I’ve upload the result of my efforts here:

The first iteration is Dummy.lua. This replaces an environment with a dummy userdata that has all of its metamethods defined. When the dummy is accessed, such as by indexing or being called, it returns more dummies, allowing it to stand in for any instance, table, or function. It worked surprising well for my purposes.

The second iteration is the Proxy module. This wraps around a function environment, creating a bridge between the function and the original environment. Once the bridge is in place, it can be used to report accesses, spoof values, or deny access entirely. The Proxy.rbxlx file shows it in action.

All of this was written in a day, so it’s not very refined, but anyone is free to have fun with it.

5 Likes

About your Hotel Rooms favorite feature:

In the favorites tab, when you click a star to remove a favorite from the list, it shouldn’t disappear immediately. They may have accidentally clicked star. I believe it might be better to let the item persist until you change tabs or maybe reload the entire UI (in this case, open and close the hotel room window.)

If they unfavorite from the start page, it should, of course, remove it from the favorites immediately (and in this new case, reload the list to remove rooms not favorited.)

My two cents you might find worth using.

2 Likes

My heart, what is this feeling…such joy

Small thing I made that looks pretty nice, perlin noise generated smooth terrain!

3 Likes

That’s genius. Bravo

:clap:

If you do terrain:FillBlock(cframe, Vector3.new(8,8,8), material) it will usually turn out smoother ;D

That’s pretty much exactly what I’m doing. ;p

oof

1 Like

Or just make this its own thread on here. @ScriptOn

oooooof

@Quenty used to do something like that

1 Like

I really should get back into the habit! It’s harder to do when you’re working on contract work though. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Working on some new UI for my new game called Bomb It!
I’m going to work on a custom leaderboard next and making the buttons work.
be sure to click on the gif if it doesn’t load

959a20078e9b1172e744b46dd5bcf077

6 Likes

Developed a randomly generated planet system - creates surreal planetary bodies:

(Yes, that’s Roblox.)

23 Likes

What are some more examples of planets you can generate? With one image it’s difficult to tell what’s generated and how much is mixing/matching a limited number of presets.

8 Likes