What are you working on currently? (2017)

Reminds me of a camera plugin I made last year. Instead of crazy file output nonsense I just outputted the png as guis on the screen and took a screenshot. It supports shadows, dynamic lights/shadows, true reflections, AA, ambient lighting, all sorts of stuff.

Here’s a top-down of a section of chaos canyon:
4d921dd83675bf62f0e241da332bb16d5f138232.png

In my plugin the camera is defined by a brick that you position. As you move the brick around it automatically builds a low quality preview of your image in real time:

https://i.gyazo.com/888980a7f86549f7561860699d932947.mp4

You can resize the brick the change the image size and you can even rotate it to change the perspective

https://i.gyazo.com/329facc395b06c113c49148e48c065a6.mp4

Result:
9f21e5c23cfcd81eaf34b0133fc6e982df332ee7.png

By default the camera is isometric, but you can change the FOV, and that lets you make nice perspective images

40ddcdd75854ef42102c5b8a816b22e9e4c84dd3.png

I wish there was an easy way to render a skybox :confused:

41 Likes

OK, that is just awesome.

3 Likes

I was pretty low profile these past weeks, but in the coming days I’m planning on becoming a lot more public with our progress. So alas, I introduce my new, upcoming game: Not Enough Minerals! (yes, the name’s a reference from a certain Korean multiplayer strategy game).

Gun system

Posted a few days back, but the animation was extremely laggy for some reason. So here’s a better version of it!

Map

Nothing too complicated but nothing too empty. I’ll probably end up having different, randomized maps per sever, but that’s obviously an idea for post-release.

Buyable items (buildings)

"Sure, but why ‘Minerals’?"

Item placement

What’s old: I already showed off the grid placement system.
What’s new: As you can see in the animation above, I can rotate buildings during placement. I am also now given the ability to reposition my placed buildings.

"Cookie" clicking and upgrading

From this point in my showcase its pretty obvious that this is a remastered version of Finite from around 2013. The creator of that game moved on from that idea, but the core game concept has always captivated me, and I’ve always thought I could build onto it.

But anyways, the pyramid is the “cookie” (I think the Cookie Clicker title has the connotation of ‘old fad’ all over it, so I had to reimagine it).

Development for this game is almost done, and the one thing I can happily boast about at the end of the day is that I developed basically 99% of this game – builds, scripts, graphics. I’ve done a lot of freelance work for clans for years, but I’ve never actually culminated it into a game.

7 Likes

This was done awhile ago by @Oysi (although I think Sharksie’s may be better)

I think it would be interesting to streamline this by using HttpService.
raycast -> pixel data in ppm format in base64 -> send to node.js http server on localhost -> decode -> PPM file. If there’s good image libraries for node.js, then you could have the conversion to png be automatic too.
I was thinking about it because I’d personally prefer to set up an http server than to deal with .Source and rbxm save files.

1 Like

Fixin’ obnoxious bugs.

11 Likes

I added specular, diffuse, and ambient shading to my raytrace. Looks pretty cool!

Same pipeline as before, just different raytracer. It’s super easy/fast to use the model way I’m doing now, but I would like to get the data out of Lua tables for memory reasons, so I’m probably going to switch to streaming it to Node with HttpService (as some people have suggested).

@AllYourBlox @Sharksie

EDIT: Here’s a better example of shadows.

EDIT2: Now with infinite-length rays.

21 Likes

Now render it supersampled and with textures and turn it into a monetization item :heart:

3 Likes

Ooo nice! At that scale you could also do SSAO and have it look really nice.

2 Likes

http://i.imgur.com/zNIdYmf.gifv

With a clever trick I managed to make blast waves spread across a sphere. New Shield Generator building for The Conquerors 3.

7 Likes

How??

2 Likes

Dome mesh being resized properly?

Currently working on a huge Train Simulator (based on TS2017) called Trainware :smiley:
I’m developing all on my own so it’s probably gonna take a while to finish…
My main goals are definitely realism in terms of scenery and train operations.

Here are some screenshots of the experimental place where all the trains/code get tested before going into the actual game

20 Likes
  • Create invisible sphere same size as dome
  • CFrame sphere to same position as dome
  • Apply circular decal to top/front/etc of sphere
  • Rotate top/front/etc face to point to hit point
4 Likes
4 Likes

I really enjoyed making this logo!!

8 Likes

I’m realizing i’m gonna have to remake a bunch of small projects i was working on because the computer repair place i was getting my laptop fixed at got burgled >:T (which is pretty dumb to do. a computer repair store just has a bunch of broken computers)

which sucks because now i have nothing cool to show off at RDC…

but on the positive side, I made a cool looking Karambit for @PlaceRebuilder

and a whole bunch of other guns that you’ll probably see in a future update of his

9 Likes

The new Plane System game will actually have an airport. Planning the paths and gates.

5 Likes

Eyy we’ve been working on a pokemon game like this too for like 8 months

1 Like

How many games have you been working on concurrently? lmao

2 Likes