What are you working on currently? (2017)

Finally going back to that railshooter… rewriting from the ground up, and have some nice progress for the camera movement.

Also here is an overview of the testing map I slapped together in 10 minutes using freemodels. I’m shockingly at 13,000 parts already…

…havent planned much more than this for the map’s gameplay… but it’ll do. And yes my fellow Time Crisis fans, Red is player 1 and Blu is player 2… yes, I am making a co-op game.

5 Likes

Oooo, thanks, thanks, thanks!! :slight_smile:

YEAHHH!!!
(I was upset the halloween event from a while back didn’t do something like this. Have wanted this for ages.
VR support?)

don’t have VR gear… cost too much. :frowning:
Else hell yeah!

But for now my goal is to have it fully working on PC… then figure out how2mobiledevelopement and release and maybe console support post release.

As buildthomas said, mausoleums and sepulcher are good ways to break up graveyards. For particularly cluttered cemeteries check out the ones in swampy areas, where the ground is too soft and wet for deep hole digging. In such places they had to “bury” the dead above ground, for example the Saint Louis Cemetery in New Orleans.

Also, more dead trees. Dead trees are always creepy.

6 Likes

And zombie fog, can’t forget zombie fog.

1 Like

Very true!! I’m just not that good at making trees (yet) :joy:

1 Like

For a more middle ages look, I would suggest not a full church or modern mausoleum, but the remains of a stone chapel, with the roof and all other wood bits long gone. Sort of of like this:

The cut granite and wrought ironwork suggests a much later graveyard though, for which buildings made from blocks would be appropriate. It all depends on the time period/look you’re shooting for.

1 Like

That first image could be any cemetery in Massachusetts where I grew up. It has a strong contemporary northeast feel :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I got a first attempt at jumping working in my gravity world. I think it’s going to take a lot of trial and error to get the feel right, in terms of having it do what people expect. The landings are rough, with a discontinuous snapping to the surface, which is what I’ll be addressing over the next week or so of evenings. The place is open now, it’s reasonable stable with support for resetting and active falling-out-of-world prevention.

7 Likes

Obligatory thing to try out whenever you make a custom gravity tech showcase:

It seems a little unstable around anything that moves with physics or running around objects with thin edges, but overall it’s pretty cool

5 Likes

tell me where to play this

1 Like

Yeah, I have a lot of smoothing things out to do. Thin edges are unstable from relying too heavily on ray casts. I need to add volume collision to the mix. Character-character interaction is the harder problem, partly from distributed physics lag, but mostly because two things trying to simultaneously and independently orient to each other creates inherently unstable feedback loops.

1 Like

Just released a new game I’ve been working on the past couple of months with HenryDev! Come check it and point out bugs we missed:

Edit: I believe we’re the first game with R15 NPCs, which is cool.

3 Likes

Rough layout for a map idea for one of my several projects rip

There’s no detail yet but it’s making progress

3 Likes

Generating 2D maps (of Jailbreak)!

##How It Works
raycast -> pixel data -> P6 PPM format -> base64 -> split data into several scripts and set source (script Source set can only have limited # of characters) -> save all scripts as rbxmx -> use Node.js program to parse rbxmx model and concat scripts -> decode base64 -> save as PPM file. Then I load into GIMP and save as PNG for good compression

Only takes a couple minutes to generate.

EDIT: Here’s a huge (3840x3840 pixel) image (also with trees now!) http://i.imgur.com/LehROES.png

58 Likes

i think @Tomarty made a thing for his game that used screenshots to create a map a while back.

but, it looks like yours also includes elevation, which is nice

1 Like

Literally smartest thing I have ever seen for making maps. I’ve always just drawn them on an outside program just using my eye to see if it lines up and say, “Ahh, close enough.” This is amazing!

3 Likes

Release pls

13 Likes

That’s cool. And it makes me want to see what kind of pixel art you’d get if you sent the rays in other directions than (0,-1,0), like using (-1,-1,-1) for an isometric projection. And why stop there: you’ve got the normals to dot product with the sun direction to do shading and specular highlights :joy: I bet no one expects to see Roblox ray casts used to make a raytracing renderer.

2 Likes