What are you working on currently? (2017)

Been working on some elemental moves for Elemental Royale.

79d1cbc58042eacb77605917336cbfabaa9a0736f113855bb28f04109fbd292c

I tried to upload some other gifs but they don’t appear to run for some reason :grimacing:

Edit 1:
I worked on a menu for Elemental Royale. However, I will be changing the positioning of the GUIs and the images.
659cb1d3ba1a1dfd6160f66be578dc52

How did you get pixel data from raycasting? :confused:

He didn’t. He just raycasts for each pixel and takes the brick color of the point where the ray hits. You can determine if a point is in shadow or not by raycasting from the point of impact of the first ray towards the light source / light direction.

This is not a real-time technique FYI.

So to get a map in 1080p, you’d have to raycast 2073600 times in different positions?

Yeah, or more if you want to do anti-aliasing or other fancy effects like reflection/refraction or fancy shadows rather than hard cutoff shadows.

Also for the simple shadows you’d already have to raycast twice per pixel, so 4147200 times to start with

@Iiau it’s not quite as daunting as it seems. With studio you can run test players to split the workload and solve it quicker.

Here’s a few things I was working on earlier.

renders

IMG_20171222_212051

all through raycasting?

Technology.

and some raycasts

1 Like

lol some, you’re funny.

I ported Dr. Kleiner’s Lab (from Half-Life 2) into Roblox

You can check this out for yourself here:

I’ve been doing these ports as a sort of proof of concept, to see what Roblox is aesthetically capable of now. Every mesh in this video was manually ported, and the level was generated using my VMF importer. The plotter effect is done using a Beam, and the glowing orange tubes use a combination of Neon, Glass, and ParticleEmitters to provide its effect.

The biggest hurdle I had to get over was manually porting every single mesh. My importer tells me what meshes I need to import and does the positioning for me, but its up to me to extract each mesh and convert it over to FBX. It required a metric f##k-ton of individual meshes to be ported.

Some models had to be composed of multiple meshes because of them having multiple UV maps.

Overall, I think the payoff was worth it. The map looks really nice, and I hope it’ll look even better when future-is-bright rolls around.

11 Likes

I think “even better” is an under statement

Simple CFrame based projectiles

4 Likes

Well…

If that’s Future Is Bright I feel like you’re not doing something right…

I didn’t change any of the lighting settings.
The contrast really needs some work.

1 Like

made some good progress on my city

I wish there was like… three of me

6 Likes

Working on a series of videos heavily inspired by The Punisher and Daredevil

gif

3 Likes

I made an icecream minigame that uses players on your friends list as customers

8 Likes

whipped this up in a few secs in paint for a buddy as a joke back in july and he used it as his discord pfp and twitter lol.

hes a one man team kinda guy,
so i told him id make him a real one someday…
as usual this is what i do when i procrastinate

2 Likes

What if a player has no/little amounts of friends?