What are you working on currently? (2017)

The thing is that people are comparing one building to a whole map. My game’s style will be so much different. It’s like comparing a gun to a FPS game

The model shown is similar to that of Meep City’s style. We’re assuming that the rest of the map will follow the same style. Otherwise, you’re wanting us to assume that the model won’t fit the style of the map it’s placed in. I’ve seen the characters and other map elements, it’s pretty similar to Meep City’s cartoony style - doesn’t mean it’s bad at all.

2 Likes

I think @WafflemanXx just doesn’t want to feel discredited for work that he created in his vision. It’s easy to make something that resembles something someone else made, and it’s kinda rough when you think everyone else is viewing your work as “inspired” by someone else. Plus it can take away from the originality that you thought you had given it.

Course, I don’t think anyone actually thinks that, or that they don’t see the differences in your work, they just see similarities to another build that is imo really well built. Just keep in mind what people say and what they intend to say - people are basically just saying that your work is really good. c:

It’s just that when people say things like “add this to MeepCity”, it makes me feel like I copied their style, which I don’t want to. I’m trying to make this map original, but apparently it’s too similar to MeepCity, and I have no idea why.

It’s just the fact that it’s cartoony that people think it looks similar. People usually judge what things are similar to what by the feeling that the thing gives you, and your town hall gives a similar feeling that meep city buildings do. Exaggerated, soft, cartoony, and cute.

I really wouldn’t worry too much about it. If you aren’t copying anyone then you aren’t. I’m sure that with more buildings and the like your own style will start to show through.

(Which, wanted to add that I think your town hall looks great! I love the telescope on the top.)

People compare my game to no mans sky constantly, even though my game is completely different. It especially bugs me when they compare my tutorial, where you start out with a crashed ship that you have to repair. I was so excited when I came up with that, I came up with it a few months before no mans sky came out. Now everyone thinks I ripped off nms.

At least your game is being compared to something high quality :smiley:

I get that a lot with Kinetic Code. I always have people asking me if it’s Phantom Forces but I’ve learned to live with it :hugs:

That looks awesome. As I said before, I can totally see myself getting distracted in game by blowing stuff up.

“ProfBeetle! Defend the base! Don’t blow it up!”

“Well, I got bored… and I’ve almost got the ceiling down…”

5 Likes

This was extremely frustrating. I understand you’re probably not done polishing this, but let me tell you how this worked for me: When I wall ran, I used the A and D keys to strafe across gaps, tending to keep my aim facing parallel to the wall for when I landed on it. This is intuitive. It felt right to do it at the low speed walls, it felt great, actually. The problem was, as soon as I gained enough speed, the strafing would ram me into the wall too hard. Then I would bounce off. If you’re aiming for realism and intuitiveness, I would suggest either making it impossible to strafe in midair to prevent this problem or correcting player velocities to be parallel to the wall as soon as they start wall running (but also sticking them to the wall at a fixed distance so they appear to actually be touching it). As it stands, your controls are hard and unfair. It’s possible, yes, but it doesn’t feel like I was being treated right by the game. Frustrating.

oogh… The controls feel really unresponsive. Sprinting seems to stop whenever it feels like stopping & sometimes you just don’t attach to walls when you think you would. When creating momentum-based gameplay it’s also vastly important for loss of momentum to feel like the player’s responsibility, but I felt like when I was slowed down it was either random or the game being finicky. With some more fine-tuning this could be really cool though.

1 Like

meh.png
Meh.
meh2.png.
Meh(x2).(We really need an app for the Devforums.)

1 Like

Haha. We have to balance destruction and gameplay. I’m fairly certain that some walls can’t be destroyed for the purposes of gameplay itself…

…except for our next map which is outdoors, has vehicles, and a map so big that the blueprints for it at 7000x4000 in resolution hehe

1 Like

Teach yourself another game engine in your spare time and remake that feature once you can. I would totally buy this if it were a real thing.

Working on some gamepad control scheme and UI. Still a lot left to do and probably going to try out some different control schemes too. I am starting to become somewhat satisfied though!

Probably have to re-scale most UI and re-render all item thumbnails to be at a higher resolution, though…

15 Likes

Why remake it? It works fine on roadblocks.

Theoretically… how many parts could I manipulate with a Motor6D+Anchored-joint system before I hit performance issues?

Thousands. Just ask @x_o / @EndorsedModel

20 Likes

I spent the morning writing a simple calculator program in Python today and learned I do not enjoy Python one bit.

2 Likes

I suspect he was thinking that you couldn’t have the entire level destructible because of roblox limitations, when you meant it would negatively affect the play-ability of the game if everyone could just punch holes in walls wherever they wanted to go.

That could be fun, but it’s not that kind of game.

Designing the UI for my new game.

Opinions? Suggestions?

1 Like