What are you working on currently? (2017)

Nice and smooth! It’s much greener up here too!

12 Likes

I’m surprised you managed to get the guns so close to the screen without them clipping. What FoV values are you using for them?

The two scopes are 4.5x zoom and 5.5x zoom. The guns themselves do clip through your character when you’re aiming, but the trick is to keep any clipping off-screen (have the sights high enough from the body/rail of the weapon so it’s not visible while aiming).

1 Like

Ah, okay. Yeah, the clipping through the character is inevitable because the way we need the gun to be held so it’s visible on screen is unrealistic – this is the case for any FPS, ROBLOX or not. I use values that match the type of scope such as 1.0x - 2.0x etc on holo sights, so I don’t have much wiggle room. It’d be nice if the near clipping distance is lowered to what it is in VR, as that would fix the problem.

(1.5x)
(1.15x)

Same concept for lower zooms. You can actually calculate the bounds of the clipping by knowing it begins 0.5 studs out of the camera, and using the FOV to get the XY stud bounds at that distance. Anything clipping into you outside that boundary won’t be seen. A lower clipping distance would be nice, but it’s not too hard to work around right now.

Definitely – it’s possible to work around. I don’t want to increase the zoom on scopes to prevent clipping though. It just seems really off for a 1.25x scope to have a zoom level closer to what a sniper would have.

Such pretty colors!

Ft. Photoshoot Building in Holiday’s World

• You’ll be able to take pictures of your BLOXikin in a well-made and professional area in the game, for only a small price!
5 Likes

Writing down item mod prefixes & suffixes

This is just 5% of the modifiers that can spawn on amulets alone. There are rings, amulets, chests, helmets, maces, swords, wands AAAND the list goes on and probably never ends…

1 Like

Day 5 of “”""""“top secret”"""""": 10 hours of dev streaming later…

image.png

Completely player-made dynamic vehicles with suspension and whatever else they wanna add :smiley: also the part that took me a majority of my time today, lifts actually ‘lift’ your vehicle. Spent a lot of time today working on edge cases.

http://i.imgur.com/3TGDriz.gif

Idk if you’re keeping up with my older posts here, but in day 4 I posted that I figured out how to collect all the touching parts on the Lift and connect them so that the vehicle sticks together as 1 piece when it’s dropped from the lift and unanchored. Turns out my method didn’t quite work as well as I thought. I’ve been playing with this new method for the past 8 hours in studio during tests and it’s worked without a single hitch! I also optimized hitboxes (removed them completely for objects that don’t need them) so now vehicles take less CPU power when working.

Also started on some GUI stuff.

Spring config:

http://i.imgur.com/MOQYCRh.gif

Axle config: Powered takes power from the engine and allows the axle to produce torque. Neutral let’s it rotate freely. Forward/Reverse are kinda obvious, which way does the torque rotate. This settings doesn’t do anything if you’re in Neutral.

http://i.imgur.com/yccFKew.gif

One last thing I wanna mention: All the config GUI’s only effect that specific parts. This was inspired by my issues with vehicle weight distribution earlier. I’d place down some wheels, springs, and an engine on a chassis but when I released it from the lift the entire thing was lopsided, and thus inspiration for spring strength :smiley: I used it to compensate for the added weight on the back where the seat/engine were located.

Tomorrow I’ll hopefully get keyboard inputs working. If I do, the core game is complete! Excited to add jets and proximity sensors and build the first hovercraft.

Edit:

lol
http://i.imgur.com/EgQQOCC.gif

23 Likes

This is amazing.

1 Like

Very simple and straight forward but with the possibility of creative ingenuity and loads of re-playable fun.

1 Like

Looks like Scrap Mechanic on Steam, awesome work!

2 Likes

What you are about to see is truly amazing…keep in mind this is still ROBLOX.

Now you may be wondering. How did he do that shading?

Here’s the trick:
Use plastic/smooth plastic material.
Change your FogColor to ~ [400000000, 400000000, 40000000].
Increase your FogStart, otherwise the parts will be white.

Blamo! You’re done.

12 Likes

It looks cool but hurts my eyes, can you try lowering brightness?

2 Likes

Lowering? Hahah, we only go brighter from here.

1 Like

hqdefault.jpg

3 Likes

I was the first one to use that on peanut mills, I found it while scripting lighting fog color :smiley:
glad it looks amazing with others build too !

4 Likes

I absolutely love games like this. Please keep adding to it. Also, really love the GUIs, super stylish!

1 Like

Been working on converting Space Frontier to use FE for like, 4-5 months now. Such a slow process. Luckily though, I think it will be done within another month.

Been super hard as far as motivation goes, but I think I’ve learned quite a lot from pushing through the boring stuff as much as I have. I think my production speed may very well increase after FE is released c:

1 Like

future racing project?