What are you working on currently? (2017)

well it certainly gets asked a lot…
sadly, it’s very resource intensive… won’t run well on potatoes

One important thing I see developers forgetting time and time again is aspect ratio. Keep your images aspect ratio the same across any device by using layers of size constraints.

School is starting again which means i can get back on my project!

Added some sticks, stones and grass. Mostly a placeholder to get a basic idea for what the end result will be like.

8 Likes

Hey, some constructive feedback if you’re interested:

• Barbed wire is looking good, however if this is an internment camp from WWII then usually it would have way more rows than 3. Something like this would be used to keep horses/cows in a field somewhere. In addidtion to that the posts look very old and look like they could easily fall over, I’m guessing this is like a modern day picture of an old camp? In which case, the metal on the fence wouldn’t look brand new. Alternatively, this is a scene from around 1945 or whenever, which means the posts should look a lot newer.

Edit: Also they should be a lot higher, they look about chest-height at the moment

(Internment Camps in the United States of America + Canada)

• The snow, on the wood, rocks and the ground looks more like a game texture than real snow. especially on the posts, it looks like grayscale at the top You should try using normal maps/displacement to make it look a lot more lively and catch some of those highlights. Currently the only thing that seems to be showing any specualar at the moment is the barbed wire metal.

I’ve messed around for little bit and made this using that approach I just mentioned.

I know that you said the models on the floor are possibly placeholders however here’s some tips for those just so you might pick up on it in the final version

• The grass model itself looks to be ok, however they are all the same length, and they are all pointing in the same direction, try randomizing that a little with a modifier or whatever they call it in blender (if there is such thing as a randomizer)

• Rock models are fine, but lack any variation and look a little low-res

• If this is in a storm or whatever when it is cloudy/foggy/snowing, the ground model will do fine (just remember to add snow particles?) But if this is some time (even a few minutes) after the storm passes then you’ll often find things are starting to melt, so make sure you get lots of wet surfaces on there and perhaps even small puddles.

1 Like

I really appreciate the time you took to write that reply! It’s true that the materials lack quality, but i don’t have much of a choice. My laptop isn’t very capable of handling PBR materials, and since i still need to add an entire camp in the background, i need to keep all materials simple so that i don’t crash every 10 seconds ><.

I’ve also had plans for adding larger fences, but the poly count in the barbed wire is insane. I think my first goal is to finish the map on my laptop without crashing and then proceed to work on better materials/models on my brother’s pc.

I think it is time that you loan more money from DOU and buy yourself a PC that is capable for doing schoolwork, etc…

This sounds like a good plan, it’s really helpful to have a more powerful machine when doing lighting/shading work because it lets you iterate faster.

I’m not sure if Blender has anything like this, but most 3D applications have some kind of proxy feature where you can use low-poly assets and then when it comes to render time, you can switch to high-poly. Perhaps this would work for you? I can’t imagine the barbed wire being too much at a problem especially at the range your camera is, you shouldn’t need too much poly detail on them.

Also this… It will change your life and you’ll never look back.

I was thinking why did I render that with a Coca Cola logo and not a ROBLOX logo so I’ve fixed it now

6 Likes

I’d rather not loan any money whatsoever. My job is too unreliable to get a good income to pay debt.

1 Like

If your parents are willing (and also yourself) you could stay at your parents house and basically live as poor as crap while you save up enough to pay off your college debt. The trick is to get a job near where you live, and also have your parents let you stay free.

Change it to some BLOXY Cola!

1 Like

Good artists copy. Great artists steal.

On a more serious note, I’m not a builder at all. I’m just copying from a certain game.

And by doing this, I realized the best way to increase your building skills is to copy experienced map designers.

Theres stuff on the inside, but it’s not done enough to show anything yet…

EDIT: What’s a good door size?

1 Like

It’s better not to fall in debts so quickly.
After all it’s only a school project. Don’t need to rush into it so much and then regret it. Better to use current resources rather than fully rely on somebody else.

I meant it in general for college.

A builder doesn’t have to build only own designed things to be a builder.
You built this, so you are a builder :smiley:

A good door size is when a user can nicely fit through them :smiley:
But something around the size of the windows, maybe something a bit smaller should be good.

BEGIN!

Messenger:
"M’lord! I feel a strange presence … Something is amiss!
It may be Lord SolidBlocks, shaping the dragons of his!
“Beware m’lord, a dragon’s power goes beyond imagination!”
“Swift as the wind, they can destroy a nation!”
“Don’t let the weapons rust…”
“… Because I am sure, his dragons will turn you to dust!”

SolidBlocks:
“Flee, flee, flee whilst you can!”
“Dark tides have began!”
“Flames will burn you to death…”
“The smokes will take your breath …”
“Nothing but ruins will be left behind!”
“With me as the dragon mastermind …”

Who won?! Who’s next? You decide!
E-e-e-e-epic Rap Battles of Hiiiistoryyy!!
(I honestly spent about 30 minutes making this… Why me …)

Opinions so far? :smiley:

4 Likes

Practice is practice regardless of where it comes from. But now I’m interested—is that Harvest & Trustee from Payday 2? I never got around to playing that game, but I have a friend who built a replica of the same bank on ROBLOX a few years ago. I know that wall pattern when I see it… I think.

2 Likes

On point, you earned a prize!

That first picture looked like some sort of side-view of a spaceship or something.

1 Like

It looks like a knife to me.

Seems my thinking is more dark than yours.

1 Like

Hahaha now that you mentioned it! :joy:
It’s just the bodyshape, I’ll probably work on it further tomorrow or later this week :smiley: