What are you working on currently? (2017)

Today was a good 7 hour stream day :smiley:

Worked on making cases work seamlessly with the rest of the GUI. Completely scrapped what I had before I started from scratch, but I think it was worth the trouble:

Here’s a video of everything working together smoothly: https://twitter.com/ScriptOnRoblox/status/841885576492118016

10 Likes

I used that to format it correctly, it has breaks in it. Strange that it doesn’t work for me.

Why pre-generate a race track when you can randomize it?

Coming soon game mode to Ultimate Boxing when I am done my plane system. Just seeing if I could get the idea to work.

Here is what I figured out to do:

1. Create any amount of random points.
  2. Sort them by the angle they are around the center. Helps if you also correct the positions to be more centered.
  3. Get the midpoints of each line and draw Bezier curves from midpoint to the the point and to the next midpoint.
  4. Re-assign the start (green marker) to be on any of the Bezier curves.
7 Likes

It was big news!

3 Likes

uhhhh not enough roblox development…

but have been working on a ton of backend things for my discord bot, its now sharded, and
The web panel has member statistics though :o

1 Like

You look like you’d be capable of a back-end statistics site for roblox.

Basically you put a script in your game and can feed it data. The data is sent to a server and you can log in on a website to view it. By default it tracks things like average play time, player count, visit count, average robux spent per play, robux earned per hour, etc…

I’ve really been hoping that someone would release something like this sometime soon. Maybe a $10 per month fee for 1 game, +$5 per month for each game afterwords. or something.

That would be fun :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Please do it! Think of all that income! Just 1000 devs with 1 game each will be $10,000 per month before expenses.

2 Likes

That is something I would pay for when my game starts generating a stable income.

1 Like

Just a side note but the expenses on computing power for the most popular games would probably exceed 10$ easily due to the amount of traffic and data processing needed, if you’re tracking a decent amount of events at least

1 Like

But 10$ per game?

EDIT: Prison Life has 12k players with max 24/server, so assuming on average a server is 12 players, that’s a thousand servers. The things ScriptOn mentioned are stuff that’s fine being logged every 10m, but even if you only do it once a minute, that’s 1k requests per minute, which shouldn’t be too bad if it’s just for adding some information to databases.

1 Like

Exactly. @buildthomas sending stats once every 5 minutes can’t be that bad.

I’m just saying a rate-based model makes more sense, you want to profit off of the big games who can afford to spend money easily on those things. With a fixed price tag that is so low, especially considering you need to crunch a bunch of data for big games (the traffic part isn’t really a problem, should have put emphasis on “data processing” in the previous post), you’d be overcharging small games by a lot and relatively undercharging bigger games

EDIT: @einsteinK I don’t think traffic is the issue, it’s preprocessing through the data and then processing it in the way that the developer wants to see that will be the most intensive. More players = more data to crunch through

It’s just something I said in 25 seconds while typing haha.

But $10 seems like a nice entry point for anyone. Maybe three tiers :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You could go with a “calculate and forget” approach (not a name of a real principe, but it sounds nice), which is basically an IncreaseAsync. Every hour (or whatever resolution you want), add a new row with as colums #visits, #servers, average playtime, … and when a request comes in, just increase it a bit. (not sure how well updating the same row 1k / min will work out, but eh)

Only thing that would require “a lot” of processing (mostly storage) would be calculating unique players, or the return rate of players, as you would need to store who visited during that hour.

Yeah, i’ll go ahead and see what I can setup. But as @buildthomas said, it’d have to be rate-based. Since it would definitely gather a bunch of data, and ultimately I’d have to upgrade to more and more servers as I go.

Just give me time to look things over. Send me PM with all the type of stats you would want to track

I don’t know a rate cost, but 10$ seems reasonable for a start.

Oh yeah sorry if I seem too critical about it, when that happens it just means I find the topic interesting :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah but that’s also the things you’d be mainly interested in I think, if you just want the basic things it would probably be feasible to implement it yourself. But for the more advanced stuff, it’d definitely be interesting to pay someone to handle it for you without having to deal with scalability issues and not having to spend development time on it

Look into http://www.gameanalytics.com/ it is the best FREE platform out there that can handle all that data. There are quite some people here that have built bots / scripts for the platform to make it work in-game :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why is it free though, they need funding obviously… whats the catch

They give your information to 3rd parties, 5.1 of their privacy policy, 2.8 talks a bit about it as well.