What are you working on currently? (2018)

I’m not super into how all this rendering works technically but i think i can sum it up. From what i hear you may be using a biased render engine.

While unbiased engines are better for absolute realism, their methods are very slow and produces a lot of noise. In Cycles, millions of light rays are being shot from emissive areas and bounce around until they reach their goal. The more rays are absorbed, the less noise there will be. Increasing the samples allows the rays to travel further, but takes a toll on render times.

Biased render engines use hacky methods to get rid of this noise to reduce render times, but can put a dent in precision. In many cases, it’s not too far off from any unbiased render result, which makes biased rendering more appealing. Eevee is pretty biased, much like Mental Ray, VRay or whatever one you’re using.

Correct me if i’m wrong, i just make the pictures.

2 Likes

Currently working on the toolkits system in Crossroads Warfare. Here’s the animation for the opening of the Standard RA (Robloxian Army) Toolkit: ToolkitAnim

The gist of what you’re saying is correct, Eevee is just a real-time renderer much like any game engine i.e Unity, Unreal and some software like Marmoset, 3DCoat or Substance. Except it’s in Blender. Real-time renderers have their uses, it depends on what you are doing and how you want the quality of the render to be. Other engines like Cycles, Vray, Octane and Redshift are all physical renderers, which means it simulates the light accurately. All these engines are technically biased (even though some say “un-biased”) because they do little optimizations in their own way. The main difference is the way in which they work, which is by shooting out all of those light rays as you said.

1 Like

Thanks! I also had another question you might be able to answer. From what i’ve heard most physical engines emit rays from the camera and bounce around until they get absorbed by anything that emits light, whereas Cycles chose to go with the opposite method of letting rays go from lights to the camera itself. I never really understood why. Is there perhaps some sort of optimization involved?

6 Likes

Working on a showcase where you can explore the headmaster Dumbledora’s office of that one wizard school, Dogwash, famous from a boy with round glasses that must not be named, from a series written by JeeKee Bowling and made into a film series by Barner Worthers.

(Set design is made by Stuart Craig, aka my hero)

17 Likes

Gets Dmca’d and thrown in the trash with brick bronze

Jk but that was my next showcase idea… Smh now I gotta think of something else.

Sorry mate… Why not make the burrow! Also a place of intricate detail and high on the list for me!

Working on food items for my game. imageimageimage

16 Likes

Nah ill probably do the class room or the hall with the moving stairs. That would be fun to animate… Making the living portraits would be cool

1 Like

Those pancakes made me hungry

1 Like

These buildings have lots of personality; I really like the uniqueness of each one that helps them stand out for their intended purposes. Fantastic stuff.

1 Like

Love these, so much character in the way it’s modelled. thank bazooka for uploading meshes!

1 Like

I have no idea what I’m doing, I just keep pressing keys and now I have this
Where’s the “legs” button

3 Likes

Eyyy! I’ve done a low poly deer. Quick tip, use background images and hit ortho view, you can upload multiple to cover different views, really helps when you shape the object into the animal.

Here’s the deer I made:

Some more images, if you are curious (dump of all progress snapshots)

10 Likes

Bit high poly on the face, but really good look. :+1:

Since its my “day off”, I’ve decided… I’m going to model myself.

~2 hours of work, most of it being on the head (the most important part), despite the tail being deoptimized (its 4,000 tri atm), the model excluding tail is 3,000 tri, which isn’t bad. Still have meh paws (hands) to model, feet to detail (add toes and nails), work on some proportions, then the model will be ready for clothing!

…question is what to make for his outfit?

2 Likes

College got in the way of developing a little bit but Flight! is going to be released into the testing phase soon. I’ve been hard at work alongside @Younite and @The_Frame for the last month and we’re nearing a state where we’re comfortable letting other people play. There’s a few post-release updates we already have planned including huge new ways for the players to interact with the game, it’s really going to be something incredible to finish. If all goes well Flight! may take off (badum tss) by early June.

11 Likes

Creating a Custom NPC Dialog System!!
Features:

• Custom mouse image on NPC Hover
  • All the features of the Roblox Dialog System
  • Custom dialog events
  • Player effects when talking to the NPC
  • Camera Tween and CFrame
  • NPC Goodbye chat (The NPC replies when you press the Goodbye choice)
  • NPC turns to face player (credit to someone else for this feature)
  • NPC Animations when the chat Started, selects a choice, and Ended
  • Documentation on how to use (incase i forget / put for public use)
    Pictures/Gifs:

3 Likes

Made a basic plugin to try out the new plugin guis. Inserts free models, Roblox items, or anything you’ve uploaded. Doesn’t work with packages or decals. UI inspired by Tiffnix’s Tag Editor plugin.

a

Edit: Now works with packages and decals.

2 Likes

By popular demand, here’s a WIP of the pizza parlor.

8 Likes