What are you working on currently? (2019)

Thank you so much, I appreciate the honest opinion!

1 Like

8 Likes

Wow! Looks great! Excited to see the final product.

Working on making Blox Survival way faster - and I’m getting great results! I started by majorly refactoring terrain generation to be per-chunk rather than per-column, which means I no longer have to generate the entire underground area when I’m at the surface. Secondly, I’ve worked on hugely optimising chunk loading. Previously, for an area of about 1089 chunks, it would take about 332 seconds to fully load. Now, for a larger area of 1210 chunks, it takes 57 seconds to load. Look at this zoomy boi:

Finally, I got around to trying some super simple greedy meshing. Here is my 1D greedy meshing turned on:

And regular rendering (i.e. turned off)

Greedy meshing seems to make rendering go faster, which I suspect is down to the same reasons that instance pooling would make rendering go faster; reusing instances seems to be much more lightweight than creating them :smiley:

20 Likes

After losing a whole day’s work to my cat’s love to walk on my PC and save coruption, i took a break to work on a GPS system for my trucking game

it even zooms

it was actually surprisingly easy, as i’m already generating all roads client-side, and the Beziers for the roads are pre-solved as the client loads

i wanted to make the whole thing turn to line up to the direction the truck is facing, but rotation doesn’t not to work with clipdescendates :t

15 Likes

Hey! That’s impressive! I love the feeling of making serious optimizations.

Are you using Part Cache? It handles object pooling for you, and uses a method that avoid reparenting. It’s a pretty hefty optimization.

1 Like

That sound more like Minimap. But hey, use viewportFrame instead, it may works better.

I really love this, realized over most of your posts here that you have really great understanding and a nudge for what colors pop out and look best, between Primitive and other creations. Kudos to you, this stuff is awesome!

1 Like

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 1 hour unless flagged)

well right now it only functions as a minimal, but the generated map image can be put into any size frame and still work sooo :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: i just tried using viewport frames, and apparently surface GUI don’t show up when in viewport frames :confused:

Been using Illustrator for a little over a week now, very proud of the things I’ve designed so far. Here’s some Twitter headers I designed today.

9 Likes

CONTENT

28 Likes

Wow those are some great animations.

I noticed that you have a different mesh for each block face. Wouldn’t it be better to make a mesh for each combination of visible block faces? This would take up less memory and shouldn’t be too much harder to implement. (You might be doing this, but as far as I can tell, you aren’t)

EDIT: After thinking about this, I realized how many combinations there actually are. The only thing that you could do to reduce that is to allow for rotation.

Wrote my own framework inspired by @Crazyman32 Aero Framework
Similarities: Uses a Service/Controller/Module model that adds quick and easy access to the framework directories.

Differences:
Modules/Services/Controllers are accessed under the Resources folder (self.Resources.Modules or self.Shared.Resources.Modules)
Modules and Services are stored under ServerScriptService instead of ServerStorage
Added an Assets folder for quick access to everything not script related.
Standard library that can be auto or manually loaded for easy utility uses. These come bundled with the framework.
Injects a ‘import’ function that can load a module or API library and returns it.
Injects a ‘using’ function that can load an module or API library and puts it in the environment.
Injects RobloxServices into the environment. It does the GetService stuff for you so you can just reference it via self.ServerStorage etc

Init function is called Awake
Added event functions called Update, PhysicsUpdate, and RenderUpdate for Heartbeat, Stepped, and Renderstepped respectively.

Still gotta implement FE networking, haven’t thought out how I want to change that up yet.

5 Likes

Thank you! I’m glad you like them!

1 Like

Latest studio render. Added in support for transparent parts, primitive conversations (turning wedgemesh/specialmesh into it’s part equivalent), and some more color balancing.

32 Likes

You can put part into viewportFrame like road or house.
But… why did you put SurfaceGUI into viewportFrame anyway?

https://gyazo.com/f1017d363fbd67c7f9cc01efc4c39929

Part of a new mining game of mine, and I created this cool illusion where you think you’re mining into solid rock, but as a major optimization it only loads the rocks around you!

6 Likes

because, the map is generated from the road data, and drawn onto a Gui Frame.
i figured if i draw it to a surface Gui, and then move around the part for it i could get the handy culling i need, while also keeping the fact that it’s drawn with a gui (for easy resize, and lack of shading)

1 Like