What are you working on currently? (2019)

This reminds me of Ace of Spades

1 Like

Yeah it’s inspired by Ace of Spades. I booted it up to play a while ago but the servers are shut down, and I’ve never worked with voxels before so I decided to give rebuilding it a try. I also plan to add some new features and experiment a bit, but that FPS-builder vibe has to remain!

4 Likes

I don’t recommend this. It double’s the polycount of the model. the way that roblox handles decals/texture projection is by creating a second mesh that is just slightly bigger then the original mesh and giving that mesh the texture/decal.

It’s… not a second mesh tho?

i just put decals on the first meshparts.
in the case of my tanks, it’s a mesh with Roblox Slate material, combined with a special Zimmerit Texture object.

1 Like

Roblox mesh + Decal

Blender, after separating the 2 meshes.

Jesus, i need to learn to read better.
Rip, probably not then…

Gui I made that I thought was pretty :slight_smile:

Going to be used to transition from one location to the next in my game.

https://i.gyazo.com/7c4520dbcac6af12186d1b847aaeb5df.mp4

52 Likes

decals (and textures) are applied to meshparts and CSG with a box projection mapping using the triangle normal to determine which triangles go to what side.

3 Likes

Did you just make RooM multiplayer… wow. You’ve done some amazing work to the game!

2 Likes

Yeah I know that already.
Need more characters to send…

It’s had multiplayer, just needed a revamp before room 2 comes out;)

1 Like

Oh, I haven’t played RooM in a while, so I wasn’t aware, but I will definitely play RooM 2 once it’s out! :wink:

1 Like

Wouldn’t be the midwest without a sunbleached road, and these absolute units

I’ve also improved some of the back end stuff, making it easier to edit maps.

https://i.gyazo.com/149b9602e23923d30683d4f1160aca1f.mp4

I tried using textures for a corn field effect, didn’t work out :confused:

i mean, it just feels too… wall-ish

I don’t think i can do mesh for this one, as the fields are supposed to go on very far…
perhaps particles of individual stalks?

5 Likes

Particles with a super long lifetime perhaps? Would work well since they also dampen with graphics quality

I love how nice the water looks! When are you thinking of adding npc’s?

1 Like

Looks amazing! When do you think you will release it? Will it be paid access when it first comes out?

Thanks! I’m not planning on adding NPCs anytime soon - I’d like Blox to have much more of a focus on caving and building :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

19 Likes

in this pic

i feel like the ambient is too dark, leading to a pitch black spot

maybe just give it a little touch up, or a weak light there.

I know Jabba’s Palace was darkly lit, but that’s a bit far.

1 Like