What are you working on currently? (2019)

I’d been working on making a Roblox Studio that can run inside Roblox Studio.

I got pretty close, but I’m giving up on this. It’s too much of a headache.

There are sooo many metatables in play, and those get lost when passing via remotes so replication is torture. Took me so long to get that running.

List of some of the features I completed
  • Replicates your Explorer to the server so the scripts can require() in it. It’s all tables and metatable(which can’t be passed via remotes) so it was a huge pain to get that done.

• Right clicking + hotkeys for cut, copy, paste, dupe, and delete for items in your Explorer.

• Fully functioning Properties window for selected object. Read only values, type protection, all those goodies

• Complete IDE features, same as what’s in Lua Learning except it has tabs up top to switch between scripts.

• A viewport that has the camera distorted to fit it in the window so the other windows don’t cover your view

• A smooth camera movement control system (which studio doesn’t even have :P)

8 Likes

That’s awesome!
Are all those separate parts or are you using some sort of special way to create irregular polygons?

2 Likes

Vroom vroom that now makes 2 working & replicating vehicles!

Airfoil & other fun technology like just 2 forces (vertical thrust & side thrust, just like a real helicopter, no fake forces) & PiD controls to make the heli controls have the right balance between tactical/realistic & actually controllable to feel juuuust right.

https://i.imgur.com/rdGxJIX.mp4

Tank is really fun to work on! Just completed some internal frameworks that allow for custom controls/effects per-vehicle to be loaded and unloaded really easy, so development should start picking up pace quite a bit!

https://i.imgur.com/9ALqHVB.mp4

29 Likes

They are all normal cframed resized parts

2 Likes

Now that’s mind-blowing, the helicopter looks more realistic than I’ve seen so far in a Roblox game, and it’s a huge improvement from what I’ve seen. It feels way more realistic. The tank is also amazing, but perhaps you should make it a bit slower :p, at least in uphills.

If this is development for a game I can’t wait for it to get out.

3 Likes

The helicopter looks amazing. Tank feels a bit weird from the video.

1 Like

Both guns created with the roblox union/solid modeling tools in roblox studio

6 Likes

How are you doing this? This is very interesting…

1 Like

Reminding me of Spirited Away in Studio Ghibli. I love it!

2 Likes

Also: flap flap flap
https://i.gyazo.com/f180356af5141b938c8424858886fe2b.mp4

18 Likes

Previously also asked and this is the answer aswell

1 Like

Yea, didn’t realize I didn’t see it. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Its amusing looking at they ideas you come up with, but its even more seeing you accomplish them!

2 Likes

I’ve recently completed small UI commissions towards more and more games.

One of my proudest additions is the design of the ER:LC ELS box UI, which I was commissioned to do by @mrfergie, one of the individuals I’ve looked up to for ages.

I’ve also been hired as a developer under the State of Firestone, where I design UIs for its police-roleplaying community.

I’ve also worked on my own projects

12 Likes

Finalizing my audio visualizer, credits to tronp for his smooth movement and original camera distortion script.

4 Likes

How did you do that slowing down time effect in your video. It looks fantastic.

1 Like

some multiplier variable in the global table, and particle movement etc would just multiply dT by the multiplier to affect the time speed. I think that’s what he said.

1 Like

I’m experimenting with attaching the sun to a part in workspace. There are a lot of limitations that I sadly can’t overcome with the current lighting system, but I think the illusion is pretty nice:

https://gyazo.com/a7080ab63f4155c0c802617ea31ac6b0

https://gyazo.com/75be05ac589864d4669dc73f10cf42c4

Here it is with the part visible:

https://gyazo.com/1a8e2a522f1443e209fbd2bf95e492e6

29 Likes

it would be really cool if you added world edit

I’m a programmer and most of my work is dealing with internal systems so its rare for me to have something I can show off visually… But I still want to post about the cool things I make soooo…

One of the big reasons I found myself dropping projects is because I constantly am re-inventing the wheel for every project, making a new data system that handles player data and saving, making a shop, whatever you can think of that’s in pretty much any game on roblox… while some of these are rather easy, it still takes time and I can instead focus my effort on the actual game loop…

In an effort to reduce development time I’ve started making my own “library” that I can literally use in any game and it’d… just work… no more debugging every time, no more spending unnecessary hours making something I’ve made before…

All that being said, I thought i should show off how one of the systems in my library works…

Player Data Suit

Features

• Internal Data handling (Reading/Adding/Updating/Deleting)
  • Data Saving/Loading
  • Backup and restore
  • Data versioning
  • Data repair
  • Subscription based Server → Client data streaming

So this is all modular and you can choose to not use any one feature…

How it works, player’s data is stored in a module that the server can use to handle all player data…

Data Versioning: is a folder which contains modules of all the data versions you’ve had throughout the game’s history, any new player would have their data set based off the latest data version module… if a player joins with super old data version (i.e they have 0.5 while you’re on 5.2) the system will automatically update their data structure without any unintentional data loss.

Data Saving/Loading: Uses Roblox’s Datastores, it saves the player’s data given from the Data Version they’re on…

Backup and restore Much like DataStore2, the game will automatically backup your data in either of the two cases (last data save has been longer than configured interval, or % of data changed is larger than the minimum configured %) Also has automatic restore should their datastore data be corrupted and/or missing (with an alert to the player once this happens)

Data repair: Sometimes when saving data doesn’t get saved correctly due to (somehow roblox issues) or a problem with how the data hierarchy is based on both version of which your data is from and/or latest data version. SHOULD any data get flagged for repair the player will be notified and as the developer you’d be able to see the data history for before and after repair.

Subscription based Server → Client data streaming: The system uses ValueObjects to share information with the client, where all of the player’s data is converted to ValueObjects and put in a folder in ReplicatedStorage. Everytime you update the player’s data in the module on the server, it’d update the ValueObjects, BUT only those who are subscribed to said data get the new values. As the owner of the data you’re automatically subscribed. If you want to allow players to read one another’s data you can subscribe them to the specific data object and they’ll automatically start receiving updates. (You can also unsubscribe, or add new data for the players at any given time)

Although the code is not open source, I thought to at least share my idea in case anyone else thinks it’d be useful for them to make.

10 Likes