What are you working on currently? (2019)

I am making the start place for a game I am developing:

I just wish I wasn’t soo terrible at Guis.

Only scripters will get:

Not related but the one player that I hope will never play my games:

8 Likes

Hey, in my opinion you did a pretty good job on that UI ngl.

1 Like

This reminds me so much of runescape.

I’m so jelly. I’ve been working on ships for years now. And still don’t have anything that looks that good.
How’s the collision on the port holes? Can you shoot a cannonball through it or would you have to use collision groups? Does it have an interior? Looks nice.

@RiverBL0X is that one of those colonial harbor towns? Or what you’d call a port town? It looks nice, though I feel like the streets are a bit narrow. Must be British. :sob: Any of those buildings have an interior? Love the attention to detail but honestly I believe you can go even deeper. Your backgrounds are lacking a bit. I’d recommend zooming out a bit, looking down towards a portion of the city and expanding the city a bit if it doesn’t fit in the frame. All in all looks great.

@x_o Nice birds, I didn’t check out the game however sorry about that. Have you heard of boids? It would be super cool to see them fly in the v formation.

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback TOny. The city is an authentic replica of Luxembourg (as it was in 1867) in Europe. You are right that many of the streets are narrow. That is one of the reasons why I love the city - it has a grimy, haphazard but yet claustrophobic feel to the streetscape. Some of the buildings do have an interior (such as the factory in this clip) but many others do not. However, those buildings that are currently inaccessible do have interiors and so, when we have time later, we will return to existing buildings and swap the static doors for accessible ones and open up more of the buildings. The whole Roblox build is about ten times what you see in the above image and it is our intention to increase the size of the build more. You asked about an aerial shot. I hope that this YouTube clip may give you an indication of what the city looks like when panned away. Yes, the background is very bland - there is a thick fog of pollution set over the city and so it is very difficult to see beyond a few streets of buildings. Thank you for your feedback. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

:eyes::eyes:

19 Likes

looks great but pleasepleaseplease remove the border on these and make the text transparent, would make it look even better

2 Likes

Its a dropshadow. :confused: should I make it more obvious? And the text transparent!? Do you mean the background transparency?

NOTE: Only for scripters.
A pretty interesant framework that extends rbx lua and other things:

5 Likes

@T0ny i’ve used boids before but this was a pretty quick project so i didn’t feel like implementing them

18 Likes

Jesus, is everyone just going to copy my old work this week?
https://i.gyazo.com/7ceac44ed3e75dddeef71dc00f0970b2.mp4

you too @CaesarPalpatines

i tease, i tease :stuck_out_tongue: both ya’ll are doing great work

16 Likes

So few days have past. So here is a update on my making of Oni alpha site. From halo 3: Odst.

10 Likes

Revamp of the classic airstrike tool for my game so far:

https://gyazo.com/a12beee51fabb33c7dbb685df3832fe0

29 Likes

will i ever upload clothing again?? maybe

6 Likes

ft. updated particles:

21 Likes

I remember having an anxiety attack every 2 seconds playing that map on firefight, and I think the amount of raw fear and anxiety I get just from looking at it again in really speaks for the quality and accuracy of your work. Good job bruh.

2 Likes

I think this is really cool, would you possibly share more about what you do (and how if you are willing) and your experience developing and coding with your framework? Thanks for showing this

What is shown in the video would be like a demo, because I plan to change and implement many things, I have not used the Framework because I am still developing it, and it will not be ready until it is useful enough. To extend ROBLOX Lua, when editing a script a dummy is edited, and the plugin compiles the changes in the real script, the source of the dummy is different from the source that is executed. In addition of implementing methods and properties, it also implements functions to the built-in libraries (string, table, math, etc.), and shortcuts can be made in scripts for things such as increasing/decreasing a value, a different and more efficient use of Remotes, and many other functions. As the source that is edited is not like the one that is executed, the possibilities are almost endless.

1 Like

Thank you, this is all really interesting to me; I currently have my own framework which gives me a lot of extra functionality, but it is all written in pure rbxlua. In the future I do want to transition to an rbxlua augmentation or even (most likely) a new language transpiled into rbxlua (but this is a lot of effort and aside from the joy of developing it, I’m not sure I’d gain so much as an individual)… I’ve been collecting ideas for the language in an unorganized bullet point format which you could see here

If it is possible, could you argue why you want to preserve the lua grammar but still inject your own methods and properties into instances? Right now I imagine that either you’d want to avoid your own compiling or go all in with a custom language, but I guess you chose the middle ground? It seems that you are using the Roblox script editor so you are still missing out on intellisense with your methods. Also, how can you confidently always infer the variable type at compile time (if it’s an instance to map your custom methods to valid function calls/inlines)? Or do you replace all self:MyInstanceMethod(...) with something of the sort: if typeof(self)=='Instance'then _myInstanceMethod(self,...)else self:(...)end?

1 Like

The first idea I had was to make a plugin for VSCode, I will not discard the idea maybe one day I will, but most use the editor of ROBLOX Studio including me, and it is more practical to preserve the lua lenguage, and there is already a compiler to rbx lua called roblox-ts, may interest you. Yes, there are pros and cons with this as what happens with Intellisense, so until it is not useful enough I will not release it. And, actually, the compilation process is simpler than it seems, it is done in real time, but only the lines that are edited, not the entire code, it uses match and find to check for “:” that is used when calling a method, or “.”, also gets the name of the method, if the name of the method is one of those that are injected, calls a function with the object and then does other things, the code that is executed looks like this:

for _, part in pairs(_e(workspace):GetDescendantsWhichAreA("BasePart")) do
	local corners = _e(part):GetCorners()
end

The function checks whether the object is an Instance of such a class, if it is not, simply executes the object’s method, if the method does not exist it will just cause an error.

1 Like