What are you working on currently? (2019)

Haven’t used Illustrator in sooo long, but here’s something I made today. Still got a lot to improve on but I can definitely see that I’m getting better (:

8 Likes

Asset marketplace. Will provide things that I know the Roblox one will not like analytics and support for selling for real money, etc.

9 Likes

Working on a simple (and very efficient) custom collider that exposes things we all wish roblox would during collisions: angle of impact, impact location, and impact velocity.

As a result, I can use these 3 variables to make impacts more… fun :smiley:

39 Likes

It looks awesome! Are you planning on releasing it?

2 Likes

WIP Marionette Worktable for a showcase

23 Likes

Some stuff for a survival game :man_shrugging:

Weapons

Starter Bow

Inevntory/Storage/Backpacks

Quiver

Monsters/Animals/Bugs

bunny
Chipmunk or Squirrel
spider

8 Likes

this could be extremely useful for more accurate damage simulations, especially with vehicles

Can finally work again on my game now that the semester is over :raised_hands:

14 Likes

Working on adding lighting to Blox Survival… is this how you do it :thinking:

12 Likes

Dabbled with Substance at the insistence of @GuestCapone and this was the outcome.
(Took a good while though.)

https://twitter.com/john_drinkin/status/1207958534958264325

AridBadlander

8 Likes

Currently finishing a weapon inspired by the Ragnarok blade, still working on colouring and textures. All brick, fingers crossed done by the end of this year.

5 Likes

Finally got direct sky light working with cubic chunks in Blox! It’s really tricky working around problems like not being able to guarantee the existence of everything above and below you, but I figured out how to do it reliably :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Just got some gun physics done

3 Likes

Almost finished with my Connect 4 clone!!

the tweet

13 Likes

After a temporary moment of insanity and some insanely counterintuitive algorithm work, I managed to get indirect sky lighting working performantly in Blox! The game feels a lot more polished already;

Some people might wonder why exactly I opted to build my own lighting system instead of using Roblox’s in-built lighting engine. Here’s some the reasons I chose to instead make my own system:

• Game scripts will need access to the lighting data for many things, for example plant growth algorithms, mob spawning, entity rendering etc.
  • There are some pretty awful light leaking problems with many voxel games on Roblox, where light almost seems to ignore certain walls and ceilings, which I’d specifically like to avoid in Blox.
  • (Especially with ShadowMap,) there’s a large and very noticeable performance penalty with many instances on screen; since Blox pretty much always uses a lot of instances, this makes the game unplayable quickly. With a custom lighting implementation, there is no extra overhead as textures are simply coloured.
  • With a custom lighting system, I get granular control over how light interacts with different blocks, for example I can define water to make light fall off faster, can make leaves specially diffuse light, etc. - as opposed to Roblox’s system, which can have funky interactions and leave areas lit incorrectly e.g. fully lit oceans (undesirable!)
  • Not really a factor but I personally think it suits the blocky aesthetic of Blox a bit more ;p

I plan to optimise it a lot more in future but I’m really proud of it :slightly_smiling_face:

31 Likes

Ah, “It’s the most, beautiful time, of the year!” once again. Festivity items added!

1 Like

I tried to make some VFX but in a short amount of time to see if i can create a good one:

Cool Capture

It was a really cool experience :grinning:

9 Likes

I smell some Half Life audio effects in there

re making my survival game
made a grid inventory system with stacking
https://gyazo.com/d5d1bfad754fbd7497f3015a0555a873
https://gyazo.com/8fa594626ba47bfbb3635ce80fadd0db

14 Likes

a disaster-survival/pvp/demon killing mode for multiplayer.

11 Likes