What are you working on currently? (2020)

I didn’t learn this from any source, only 2 years of prototyping my thoughts into code and progressively learning here on the dev forum on what habits and ways I need to write code out. If you’re beginner, I took an entire week about 3 years ago learning the basics from Peaspod with some prior basic experience from GameMaker Studio, Unity, and Java. With this project, I wanted to learn more about CFrame equations and mathematics.

Here’s what I did to make that system. It’s pretty simple, one thing to know is that planet is moving around a star, and the star is moving around a black hole with other star systems with there own planets moving around them. This poses a problem with ordinary loops, so we need to update every frame prior by using RenderStepped.

For every frame, the part position needs to be updated so
Part.CFrame = CFrame.new(Mouse.Hit.p).

Then I need it to face the planet’s center, so I have a part to represent the center of the planet and is welded to the planet. Part.CFrame = CFrame.new(Part.Position, HomePlanet.Center.Position).

After that, I need to face the bottom of the part to the planet’s center by using Part.CFrame = Part.CFrame:ToWorldSpace(CFrame.Angles(math.rad(90),math.rad(Rotation),0)).

The math.rad(90) makes the part flip so the bottom is facing towards the center of the planet and the Rotation is rotating the part of that position. To actually clone and place it is mostly everything I said above but I need to apply a weld constraint and set some values for other scripts to use.

--Update
	Mouse.TargetFilter = Part	
	local Update = RunService.RenderStepped:Connect(function()	
		if Mouse.Target == HomePlanet then
			Part.Parent = HomePlanet.PlanetSurface
			Part.CFrame = CFrame.new(Mouse.Hit.p)
			Part.CFrame = CFrame.new(Part.Position, HomePlanet.Center.Position)
			Part.CFrame = Part.CFrame:ToWorldSpace(CFrame.Angles(math.rad(90),math.rad(Rotation),0))
		else
			Part.Parent = game.ReplicatedStorage
		end
	end)

I think my coding skills are basic to intermediate, for any other programmers reading this, is there a better way of writing code out, or is this the way to write code?

4 Likes

Optimized path finding for a hexagon-based world! Right now it’s A* w/ static weighting. It tries really hard to avoid grey, brown and blue tiles, in order of avoidy-ness, while trying kinda hard to not explode the server. At more than 100_000 tiles considered it just gives up.

I plan on implementing some of the same optimizations that the devs of RimWorld and Factorio detailed in videos/blog posts, to hopefully turn this into some kind of strategy game.

Proc-gen mountain ranges and oceans, to have something to test pathfinding against

Click-to-move to quickly test pathfinding between any pair of tiles

28 Likes

Plan to get this out as soon as possible.

17 Likes

Magnum revolver model (ill try post stuff other than guns after these commissions)

23 Likes

3D collectable items in-game that emulate the stat hotkeys I already have! :octopus:

17 Likes

Working on concept arts.

49 Likes

Don’t do that

Don’t give me hope.

9 Likes

Red planet. :slight_smile: It’s sunset and there’s red shrubs everywhere.

11 Likes

P90

25 Likes

As part of my AC-130 project, I made an air support marker to signal targets for the AI.

28 Likes

30 Likes

The automatic camera rotation to match the orientation of the character is so satisfying, nice work!

4 Likes

Currently, I’m designing the UI for an FPS project I’ve been working on.

42 Likes

I know this was posted a while ago, but what you should consider doing is grouping messages by one person into one box to save space, similar to how Roblox’s default chat works. Looks good so far!

3 Likes

made a grenade launcher lol

24 Likes

Revamping the roblox UI :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Just experimenting around with particles and beams

They’re fun to use

20 Likes

Using new atmosphere effects + some tree generation work to create a swamp environment

15 Likes

I wish i could play it now, it looks amazing.

1 Like

new animations

and some 3rd person replication fixes such as the head finally pointing straight 100% of the time as well

44 Likes