What FREE softwares can help me make designs?

I want to get better at designing ui, and I want to try making logos. I’ve made one logo, for my group black forest, but thats it. I’ve been practicing ui, and clothing for a while. I’ve never made ui in paint.net but I use paint.net a lot for clothing, and I’ve made 5 GFX so far. The reason why I’m making this post is because, I want to tryout new softwares, and I’ve read some posts, but they mainly include stuff that is NOT free. I’ve tried using a website named imagemakr, and I’ve used paint.net any other suggestions?

Previous GFX Designs

These are put in order, from oldest to most recent, and you can use any of them. I’d prefer you giving me credit but, if not its fine. Thanks for reading! :fox_face:

3 Likes

You didn’t see a prompt about similar questions when making this post?

There’s some good suggestions on the topic I linked.

3 Likes

Both of your suggestions cost money. But I did find stuff that may be useful, thanks, but I still need other suggestions.

1 Like

You can probably try the free trials of photoshop and illustrator. You should probably try talking to your parents and do quick chores so you can get like 15 dollars a month to actually get the full version.

1 Like

I have money, but I’m unsure iff I want to buy it, I’m saving money, and It’ll take time to learn something like that. By the time I learn it good, I’ll loose subscription.

Then try out the free trial, if it is something you like then you know what to do! :smiley:

For a free trial of photoshop, do I have to input a creditcard or something to get the trial?

In my opinion you don’t need Photoshop. Have you tried any other apps? It took me 6 months to get the hang of Photoshop, it wasn’t very easy to start with (i also had 1.5 years of paint dot net). I suggest you install more plugins for paint dot net since the images you shown don’t have any particles or any type of thing that would change in Photoshop. It doesn’t matter the software per say but more how you use it. If you switch to Photoshop you won’t magically become better. It takes time to get better, you don’t just get better because you installed a more expensive / high end program. Hope this helps you not give up on paint dot net and more help you get more experience with 1 program before moving straight to another program. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

While I advise against this, cracked software has been normalized In the gaming industry for years. So that’s why a large proportion of developers recommend PS or illustrator… in reality it is the best route to go long term because adobe keeps their tools up to modern standards where as other companies don’t. The closest alternative to PS would be Affinity designer however even they’re not on adobe’s level of expertise. Adobe is arguably overpriced yet the team behind PS consist of passionate individuals fixated on revolutionizing the future of graphic design. I truly don’t believe PS will ever be topped by another team.

There’s a lot of creative ways you can use free software however that doesn’t mean it doesn’t come with limitations. It may not be easy however it is doable:

This is proof that outdated tools can achieve modern results if the tools are used by an artist that has mastered those tools. Modern software only reduces the complications outdated softwares consisted of so it really isn’t the program at fault and more so who’s using the program. Bottom line is if you do use outdated software or software that is retailed at $0 typically it’ll come with limitations that you’ll be forced to overcome.

I feel as if you’re fixated on being self taught which with all due respect… doesn’t appear to be beneficial to you by the examples you’ve presented. If you do purchase PS I highly recommend enrolling into educational programs like skillshare or testing your luck with YT tutorials on PS. For YT i’d recommend looking into this channel or this channel.

Thanks for all the suggestions, though do you know any free programs I can tryout, I just downloaded inkscape and adobe XD, but I don’t like inkscape, and I haven’t tried adobe XD yet.

Hey, have you ever used blender.org? It’s a cool software for special rendering(also 3D modeling), especially when creating scenery or character rendering(s).

On the side of this, practice is the main path to achieving the qualities and through learning, you will find greater practices or techniques which can easily streamline your work. I believe you can still achieve high qualities if you learned the techniques that can actually be par in quality of paid softwares.

I do not use paint.net, instead I’ve chosen gimp.org, which is pretty much the same.

For some contrasts of moving from one software to another, I have upgraded my DAW(digital audio workstation) to something powerful. The knowledge I had from my pre-upgrade was beneficial for the current productions. I have played around with music and sounds for a few months already.

1 Like

I may download blender soon, and I have gimp downloaded, though its really confusing. paint.net is MUCH easier imo, maybe because I spent alot of time on it. Thanks for the advice/suggestions though! :fox_face:

Well so far you’ve tried the following:

• PDN
  • Ink scape
  • imagemaker

Unfortunately I only know of three more alternatives (that aren’t even close to adobe’s standards) which are the following:

If neither of those are suitable to your standards than maybe you’re better off testing your luck with photoshop.

I keep trying to open up Adobe XD, though it keeps closing with a white screen. Can my laptop not run the requirements for it?

1 Like

Check for yourself here

I know nothing about computers do i have the recommended?

Hey, my laptop lets say has seen better days. I still edit in AE and Run PS CC with ease. Try re installing, it could be a glitch since for it to be crashing like that, means you would be running it on like an Iphone 4.

I know Adobe Photoshop costs money but it’s a must need for design. Paint.net doesn’t have the full necessity you need. You can try Adobe Photoshop free for 7 days via Adobe Creative Cloud.

Hmm, well personally I use Photoshop CC 2019, but for free programs that are good for making logos and designing I would recommend:

GIMP
Photoshop Elements 2019 (I know it is not free, however it is only a one time purchase and it is a good and reliable source)

Good luck!

1 Like

I shouldn’t tell you but using pixlr is a terrible idea. The picture you exported are low quality.