What if Likes were disabled?

I get that you could use them to see how people support things but that’s what polls are for. It feels like I see likes being used to put people down far more often than not.

Ex:

Person1: This is my feeling of this
Person2: I’m going to put you down for feeling this

Person2 then gets likes and Person1 basically just got bullied.

Wondering what your thoughts on this are. I’m not calling anybody out either, I just see it happening literally every day I’ve been here and it sucks that one tiny feature makes for such a useful bullying tool. I’ll see people say something as innocent as just a personal preference about something and then watch people swarm to hit the Likes on a reply that puts said person down for feeling how they do.

Makes cool creation
Doesn’t get any likes because there’s no poll

Looking at likes is tackling the symptoms rather than the cause. The issue is why people are ganging up on others in the first place. Also probably people are who may mistakenly think people are ganging up on them just because someone posted a better idea and others like that idea instead of theirs.

It just means that people agree with someone more than somebody with a different, possibly more preferable opinion. I shouldn’t think that anyone (usually) dishes out Likes with the intent to tease the OP.

It’s like elections: your opponent could get more votes than you but that doesn’t neccessarily imply that their supporters hated your beliefs.

People sharing an opinion is bullying? If we didn’t have likes then people would just spam the thread with the same post over and over. Every halfway decent forum has a like feature.

15 Likes

oops am I a bully

If I make a statement, then somebody disagrees and gets 10 likes on their post, I know the majority disagrees with me. This is useful information to me.

This does not mean I’m getting bullied. Bullying would be if the second post was a personal attack rather than an opinion, and people were liking that. If you see this happening, use the report button!

16 Likes

Various things such as trolling, flaming, personal attacks, discriminatory comments and more are already against the forum rules. Liking a comment that disagrees with someone is hardly any of those. If you’re too sensitive and can’t handle other peoples opinions then you’re best off not being on a forum, because that’s exactly what they’re for.

tl;dr This is a pretty ridiculous idea

2 Likes

shut up LoserAlex!!!

o/t: I think likes should stay - they’re a really good indicator of what the lurkers feel and a really effective way of communicating that an opinion is shared rather than everyone basically posting the same thing repeatedly to express their agreement.

5 Likes

This.

4 Likes

It feels like I see likes being used to put people down far more often than not.

I feel like there’s more than what’s going on here. Maybe a change in what threads you regularly view might help?

If there were no likes then people would just do what they did on iron noob- quote the post they liked and add nothing.

Likes clean spam.

If we didn’t have likes then people would just spam the thread with the same post over and over.

I like likes >:

blob.jpg

• I like likes
  • I don’t like likes

0 voters

If we didn’t have likes then people would just spam the thread with the same post over and over.

There would be less terrible puns which don’t answer the thread

I’m pretty sure this thread has run its course. like if u agree

15 Likes