What is gcinfo() and How do I use it?

I want to know how to use gcinfo() to stop Dex. I cannot find any documentation on it, I have tried:

for I, V in pairs(gcinfo()) do
	print(I, V)
end

But it does not do anything. I am wondering what it is how is it used an what is it used for!

I think most of Lua’s garbage collection functions are disabled on Roblox. If you manage your data properly (nullify unused variables or disconnect unneeded events) the GC should handle it all for you.

gcinfo() is basically collectgarbage() but less precise so i think it just tells memory usage and stuff (im not fully sure on this)

From here:

Variant collectgarbage ( string operation )
Performs an operation on the Lua garbage collector based on the specified option.

Roblox’s Lua sandbox only allows the “count” option to be used, so none of the other standard options are available.

The “count” option returns the total memory in use by Lua (in kilobytes).

Apparently you can only see the amount of memory being used. You can’t perform manual garbage collection.

Someone used it somehow to stop Dex and I wanted to replicate it. Is it possible to do that?

What is Dex?

dex explorer, it’s like the studio explorer but in game utilized by exploiters.

I’d say that you can “stop” Dex by detecting memory spikes (since it loads almost if not all objects of the game).

But I don’t think it’s reliable enought. You probally heard this tons of times but, if you sanitize your remotes and make sure you don’t allow breaches in your code you should be fine. If you are going to do Client - sided - detection it shoulden’t be your first line of defense and it should also not interfer with the gameplay.

Another option would be using FindFirstChild with the recursive parameter and search for some objects that Dex use that has one of those names:

'SaveInstance'
'ScriptEditor'
'CallRemote'

I heard that some Exploit GUIS already bypassed this method (such as Dex), but I’m not sure and you could try if you want.

Please note:

You should worry about server - side mainly, client sided anti - exploits are not waste of time, but you should not worry too much about it.

5 Likes