What is the best way to make a pet system?

Recently I have been making a game and would like to add a pet system to it. These pets would follow the user around. Systems like this have already been implemented in other games, but I would like to try and make one myself.

What I am wondering is what is the best way to go around making the pets follow the player. I am not asking for scripts just general advice on a way to do this in a smooth un laggy manner.

I have looked at tutorials online but most seem to be over a year old, so thought I would come here and ask for current advice on the matter.

15 Likes

You can make it follow the player’s root part and subtract the RightVector so it’ll have a good distance away.

1 Like

You can also use the player’s head. I made two simple pieces of code for this.
Normal script:

local event = Instance.new("RemoteEvent")
event.Name = "event"
event.Parent = script.Parent

event.OnServerEvent:Connect(function(player, pos)
	local tween = game:GetService("TweenService"):Create(script.Parent.PrimaryPart, TweenInfo.new(1, Enum.EasingStyle.Quart, Enum.EasingDirection.Out), {CFrame = pos})
	tween:Play()
	wait()
	tween:Cancel()
end)

LocalScript:

local event = workspace.p:WaitForChild("event")
local plr = game.Players.LocalPlayer
local char = plr.Character or plr.CharacterAdded:Wait()

game:GetService("RunService").RenderStepped:Connect(function()
	event:FireServer(char.Head.CFrame - (char.Head.CFrame.RightVector - Vector3.new(5, 5, 5))) 
    --assuming you already set the pet to the player
end)

This is code for one pet, it works pretty good and it’s simple.

8 Likes

Would rapidly firing remote events and creating tweens be good performance wise?

4 Likes

If the pet doesn’t do any animations, I recommend that you weld the pet to the HumanoidRootPart.

1 Like

It was a simple piece of code, I can change it around.

I was just asking a question, because I’m not sure myself

2 Likes

Creating tweens is okay performance-wise, remote events being rapid fired could possibly break it, but this is unsure since I have tried it in studio before sending.

1 Like

Did you test your script with a pet?

I did something similar to you and my pet “Vibrates” while tweening

but I always get this problem with tweening stuff relative to the player

I made a brick and used my script. It did basically the same thing that happened with you.

I’ve found two good options: CFrames and constraints.

One way is to just set the pet’s CFrame every RenderStep
(this would be done client-side)

local function SetPetCFrame()
	Pet.CFrame = Hroot.CFrame * CFrame.new(2, 2, -3)
end -- Hroot is player's HumanoidRootPart

game:GetService("RunService"):BindToRenderStep("SetPet", Enum.RenderPriority.Last, SetPetCFrame)

Another way would be to use constraints. The ones I’d normally choose would be AlignPosition and AlignOrientation
(this one would be done server-side instead)

local function AddPetConstraints(Pet, Hroot)
	local Att1 = Instance.new("Attachment", Hroot)
	local Att0 = Instance.new("Attachment", Pet)

Att1.Position = Vector3.new(2, 2, 3)

local APos = Instance.new("AlignPosition", Pet)
	local AOri = Instance.new("AlignOrientation", Pet)

APos.Attachment0 = Att0
	APos.Attachment1 = Att1
	APos.RigidityEnabled = true

AOri.Attachment0 = Att0
	AOri.Attachment1 = Att1
	AOri.RigidityEnabled = true
end
24 Likes

Works perfectly for stationary pets

Although the constraints are useful, it can get a bit buggy whenever you experience any sort of lag, or if another player touches it.

I tried it, and my pet turned into a beyblade, spun around, and disappeared or just got dragged due to lag.

Chances are that you don’t have them set up correctly if this is what happens. Consider collisions, network ownership, client rendering and the like first.

Constraints aren’t buggy. This is the nature of the physics engine you’re experiencing.

2 Likes

Network ownership actually fixed it, nothings happening whenever it touches another player, so thanks!

2 Likes