What would shine hope on the SCP genre?

Hi hi hi, no news here! Kind of like it happens with the old Roblox debate: veterans miss the memorable gameplay and developer interests have shifted to monetizing off of young users; apart from a ton of drama. Much more blah blah blah, but there’s this quote from Luther King:

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that”

It’s also a truth that many developers aspire to making the next great SCPF or something, blatantly failing in the process. I might be one too, but at least I do not want to make an SCPF, just an SCP game. Not the same!

So, yeah, I want to make an SCP game. My inner self is telling me to not do it, “you won’t be able to live off of it”. That hurts, day after day, but if only I could get kinda of in check with the community, know about what other people think, their ideas, interests, maybe I would be a little more comfortable with working on this hypothetical project.

If you are kind enough, no matter if it doesn’t make sense according to some developer pattern you may know, just throw ideas that sound cool to you. How would a good SCP game be for you? I’ll go first:

The reason I am posting this albeit there are countless more topics treating the same issue is, most are old and kind of out of touch. For a genre that deserves its fun to the fiction we create among us, I think it is important to stay updated with what we like. I do not like applications, trainings and high ranks, and I’ve been in some. I neither cross them entirely, I guess that by tweaking some aspects of them, like the whole level of seriousness, strictness and subjectivity that they pose, they could turn better.

Now I do love events, player-caused events that involve many people. Not hosted by a high rank, not “official” events, just in-game events that could happen any time if people want it. Oh- wait what?

Vehicles? Hell yeah. That shall also mean a bigger world, more than just a facility. Let me know. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

( Summarized with ChatGPT cause my rant was REALLY long )

I don’t play SCP Foundation (SCPF) games anymore because of the hassle with applications and tryouts. To play at all, you need to write an application and wait up to 48 hours, which is frustrating.

I believe this needs to change. I’ve been experimenting with the idea that only high-ranking or specialized positions should require tryouts or applications. Major teams like Security Department (SD) and Scientific Department (ScD) should be accessible to everyone. If players want more responsibilities or content, then they can apply for those.

I also hate waiting to play, and even after getting accepted, you often have to apply again for different roles. The overall game experience tends to be sub-par after all that effort.

Allowing more players to access the basics of the game without extensive applications would benefit the genre. Extra effort should only be needed for more content or freedoms.

I’ve also considered a “Licenses” system, where trusted players earn extra benefits. For example, free SD players wouldn’t have guns initially; they would need to attend a firearm class. If they abuse the gun, it can be taken away via the license system. This approach can apply to other mechanics like heavy weapons, food handling, driving, containment, and even doctorates.

Additionally, I dislike sites with tons of SCPs that are just kill bricks. I’d rather have 4-5 amazing SCPs than 25 mediocre ones.

tl;dr: Players should access more of the game from the start, with applications for higher ranks only. Mechanics should be more detailed, focusing on quality over quantity.

2 Likes

Like it! I do indeed think not many SCPs are needed for an entertaining game, but a few well done ones. That is such a relief in fact, since it seems easier for me to create quality content than massified content, nice! Maybe some cool things like trying to destroy 682, exploring 1730, that would be enough to keep you focused and there would be no need for countless anomalies to be present.

When it comes to tryouts, I also enjoy your take on it. I once got really mad at application models and this whole scheme of “treating a role like a job”. I do not think tryouts might be any fun if you are not really into the roleplay. Even worse, it sets a high bar that prevents people from daring to try what could be an awesome experience.

The whole seriousness implied in applications is purposeless, for me. I get the serious RP thing, but even in one of those, I like having some margin for just enjoying the game and not caring that much about any role, character or so. That is why I love your “Licenses” proposal!

Having to pass small courses, with lightweight requirements, to specifically specialize in what you aim for, seems like a perfect way for me to still conserve this fair immersive progression process, while keeping things fun and not too serious; not too sweaty.

I do not want to throw any bars, but I guess many problems related to the genre community’s toxicity come from the fact that, they try to act as if they were part of the SCP Universe. It is a wonderful fiction, but a whole hell of a place to live in and that is not something we should aim to replicate.

The process shall be fun, we should have fun doing a firearm class and have the chance of making mistakes. And the same for anything else, except maybe big deals like high ranks.

2 Likes

I do not want to throw any bars, but I guess many problems related to the genre community’s toxicity come from the fact that, they try to act as if they were part of the SCP Universe

yea honestly the SCPF genre is really toxic because they just like the idea of having power over each other. Tons of SCPFs have been lost due to doxxing, exploiting, and other sometimes illegal actions. If we make the genre more about a game with RP aspects rather than a job it might ease the community and bring in new players.

I’ve just written a post about some ideas I have for the SCP genre, i’ll try and update it if I have any more ideas, but these are just a few I plan to implement.

2 Likes

I think this is tied back to the way that many of the larger groups have these “secretive” oh so classified departments that tends to just naturally attract these types of people.
For example (obvs no hate) but Site Delta using alt accounts with their “code names” for their Internal Security Department and their agents constantly being shrouded in mystery when online.

It is interesting as well as the SCP wiki lists ISD as a department that investigates GOI agents which could easily be roleplayed out however most SCP groups on Roblox use it as a way to harass their own members and other groups lmao

3 Likes