What's better: Hollow or filled terrain?

I want my game to have better performance, I already optimized the game alot but I have a question what’s better for performance with voxel terrain, I don’t know much about voxels and tried understanding what it exactly is but I still don’t know what’s better for performance. I’ve asked some friends too but they don’t know it either. So I decided to ask it here since mobile users have problems with the game loading really slow.

What would be better?
1. Hollow terrain
afbeelding
or
2. Filled terrain
afbeelding

If you want your players to have a nice experience with no lag or anything to slow the servers, I would go for Hollow, because it would create fewer voxels and memory for both the game and studio, filled-in terrain would create more memory and voxels, causing low-end devices to lag or possibly crash.

My choice, Hollow.

Off-topic to the topic, but maybe some way to help in terrain building: Building Optimisation | Tips and tricks!

1 Like

It really depends on the game. Terrain should be hollow to reduce memory, but be careful, because sometimes hollowing it out can increase memory because there are harder shapes to render.

2 Likes

I am making my map as hollow as possible, will the rendering decrease if I use wood terrain on the bottom of the terrain? since every wooden voxel is square it probably does but I’m not sure if it will do anything bad

From what I’ve heard smooth terrain was better, I have no idea why. I can’t find the thread I saw that on, it was named something like, “Terrain Optimisation”.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.