What's Coming in 2019: This Year's Developer Roadmap

Yay, glad this update exists. Thank you for this update. I can finally spoil myself with amazing updates ROBLOX brings us.

1 Like

Also it would be great if the max texture size was increased to 2048x2048 instead of our current 1024x1024.

Can we get any word on this?

4 Likes

This is exciting! Iā€™m glad Roblox shares with us those amazing upcoming updates.

1 Like

Oh that would be sweet. But besides quad sheets / trim sheets I cannot see an honest valid need for that increase. You donā€™t want to make every texture in your game use 2048x2048 as itā€™ll greatly eat up performance on lower end devices. As a general rule, smaller objects (like hats, higs, shoes) shouldnā€™t exceed 256x256. Body packages/mesh are best at 512x512 and would only put them at 1024x1024 if its meant to have A LOT of texture detail to standout from other packages in a place.

But besides my personal opinion on texture size uses (for Roblox, I would double those numbers outside of Roblox.) I do have to agree it would be really nice to have!

2 Likes

Iā€™m saying give us the option. In most modern games, plenty of textures are much larger.

Also, a 1024x1024 texture can still look high res but only over smaller surface areas. If you want a higher detail or to maintain that same level of detail on a larger object, you need a higher resolution. We measure pixel density in PPI. You can have an 8k texture / display but if the texture / display is the size of a movie theater screen it will look significantly worse then a TV screen. The same concept applies to physical objects with a texture in game.

Also, especially for UI, having the option to upload 2048x2048 textures would be very useful.

8 Likes

Donā€™t want to sound ignorant for not knowing, but Iā€™m still unaware of what ā€œTyped Luaā€ is.

Essentially, it means you declare the type of value variables contain and that functions return. It helps make it more obvious when youā€™ve made an error.

3 Likes

So int number = 10 and then doing number = ā€œhiā€ would error?

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the general idea yeah.

1 Like

Probably a mistake, but It appears the 2019 roadmap has been wiped except for cross-server messaging.

Itā€™s still on there on my end ā€“ what page are you looking at?

Just checked again and itā€™s back to normal. I was using the links from the original post.

Iā€™m excited for the universe scripts. I donā€™t know what Iā€™ll do with them, but whatever it is itā€™s going to be cool.

Using Universe Scripts (assuming it will be eventually released some day), many users have stated that managing cross-server matchmaking would be feasible. The problem with matchmaking on Roblox is that experienced players can easily create a new Roblox account (because they are free to make), and they can get matched up with legit new players to your game (which defeats the purpose of matchmaking based on experience). However, there are other things that you can do with universe scripts, such as other cross-server communication / networking.

Again, I am not too sure about the difference between the 2019 roadmapā€™s intended release dates, and the actual time they release all the features.

Just for 2nd quarter (April - June), they have less than half of the intended features live, and we are about half way through June already. I guess we have to wait and see.

ā€œFuture is Bright - Sun Shadowsā€ is actually live, so Iā€™m not sure why it still says ā€œOn Trackā€ on the Devhub. I believe the same goes for ā€œImproved Character Importerā€. As for the rest, I would assume all 3 features regarding localization would be shipped in tandem and as such would be worked on in tandem, which means only 3 features are left to ship for the second quarter which I believe is totally feasible.

4 Likes

Iā€™m planning on using them to get a list of players in all servers for a messaging system in my game, in which I have just added the MessagingService. Iā€™m assuming Iā€™ll be able to do this based on their name and description and if I canā€™t Iā€™ll either have to use more pretty complicated code using MessagingService or Iā€™m going to get a lot of complaints about that. I hope universal scripts end up live, they are one of the two or three things on that map Iā€™m already interested in using.

1 Like

Looking foward to some of these updates, Iā€™ve always liked Roblox even when I get angry at jailbreak.

2 Likes

Is it really live? I havenā€™t seen itā€™s changes yet and too me on the roadmap it still says ā€œOn Trackā€.

Future is Bright sun shadows have been live for about a month and a half, yes. The following things listed as ā€œOn Trackā€ on the roadmap are also live (I am sure of this now):

• Localization ā€“ Auto-Capture Date & Time Detection
  • Improved Character Importer
  • Advanced Terrain Tools ā€“ Heightmap (this came out earlier this week)

Here are the announcement threads for 3 of those (Future is Bright, Character Importer, and Terrain Tools):

As for the new localization tools, there has been no announcement thread for it yet. However, you can see it is listed as ā€œLiveā€ in the most recent release notes (it also seems I was wrong and that they are not shipping in tandem with each other):

https://developer.roblox.com/resources/release-note/Release-Notes-for-391

Iā€™m unsure if the other 2 localization features have shipped already, but I do not believe they have.

Edit: @UnderMyWheel pointed out that one of the other localization features is pending release according to those same release notes. I must have missed it.

1 Like

Cloud table support update is pending according to the release notes for version 391.

1 Like