What's Coming in 2019: This Year's Developer Roadmap

Custom materials Are on track. Does that Mean its here or is coming soon?

It means internal development for custom materials is on track to be completed by the end of the quarter.

These were my dreams :open_mouth:

7 Likes

What materials will be featured in the “Custom Materials.” Bump map? AO? Normal?

1 Like

Sounds reallllly interesting! I can’t wait for all of this!

i cant express how much this will benefit my upcoming showcase game, as well as many others. im glad to see the focus on improvement as we come closer to Q4 2019!

2 Likes

I’m really excited for these upcoming features in Q4. I think it’ll be great to finally have a decent matchmaking system and universal leaderboard that is dependent on the universe and not the actual server itself. The 64 bit also looks exciting can’t wait to test that out, same with the updated lua interpreter. The temporary datastores sound real nie to have.

4 Likes

Last I heard, they haven’t really planned anything out yet, so nobody really knows exactly.

2 Likes

I really like this!

As a developer I find this pretty interesting.

• The toolbox is something that could be very interesting
    I hope to see an improvement on it, and maybe try to use it as much as possible
    :smile:
1 Like

is this related to team create access, or players?

I thought this was related to team create the whole time but I read over it again just now and I could see it being related to Players instead

3 Likes

With typed lua coming, will you be updating the wiki tutorials to the typechecking system?

Probably not, because the type annotations will be optional. It doesn’t make sense to convert all the tutorial code to use type annotations since that makes it more complex for new developers. It will probably also be way too much work to maintain two versions of each code sample, so they’ll most likely stick to the default syntax.

Those are textures, not materials. Materials require all of those textures to make the material.

Much better question is how are the materials being implemented? Will we be able have mesh specific materials?

I think having a new object called “Material” could suit this purpose.

Basically set it to “Wrap” for wrapping around base parts, as Meshpart.TextureID act, or, have tilable which would function identically to the texture object, but would have the added properties of Specular, Abedeo, Normal, Reflection, etc.

Speaking of the type system, will the type annotations only be primitives/literals, or will there be interfaces? Without interfaces, I’ll still have to do a lot of the runtime type checking I use to make my code typesafe.

That is basically what I was wondering, and I get the two mixed up all the time. It would be amazing to apply your own baked textures based on UV information.

The return of closed-source modules will be delayed to next year?

1 Like

You can already do that to user made meshes. Granted you can only use the diffuse map.

2 Likes

It’s still in beta so I can’t say for granted but I checked it out and it seems to be teamcreate related, as you need to have it on to be able to set permissions and such.

1 Like

The link for the roadmap isn’t working for me currently

1 Like