When equipping tool with parts rotated by physics (Hinge Constraint) the player moves around in a circle

Problem

When equipping a tool for the first time that contains rotating parts, the player moves around in a circle until the rotating part joins the tool. This is happening in both Studio and in the live game. In this particular case, the tool is a weapon known as a disc launcher that launches flying bladed disks or shurikens that damages/kills other players. When first equipping it, it seems that the rotating part is flying in from somewhere. While this happens, the player is moving around in circles. See the video below for details.

I’m currently developing a workaround for this issue.

EDIT:

The workaround is adding a weld between the weapon frame and the rotating part and disabling the HingeConstraint. When the tool is equipped, a function is called that turns on the HingeConstraint and turns off the weld. I think the issue is that when the weapon is equipped, the the position of the parts are shifted to where the handle is (those parts are all welded together). But for whatever reason, parts that are attached by constraints have to use the constraint to join with the rest of the weapon. Since the character is not anchored, and every action has a equal and opposite reaction, the character moves without any input from the user.

Additional Information

Parameter Value
Problem Area Engine
Problem Component Physics (Constraints)
First Noticed Feb 2024
Priority Medium
Impact Medium
Annoyance Level High
Game ID 5207881632
Place ID 15112688736
Game URL The Proving Grounds - Roblox

The beta features that I have enabled are as follows:

• AI-Powered Texture Generator
  • Assistant Preview
  • Faster Play Solo
  • Material Generator
  • Notched Screen Support
  • Notification Overhaul
  • Updated Docking System
  • Updated Roblox Controls

As for plugins, I have a bunch that are installed, but very few are enabled. The ones that are enabled are listed below with links to their details page on the Roblox store website:

Expectations

What I expect to happen is that when I equip a tool with rotating parts, the player doesn’t move of their own violation.

Visuals

Reproduction

To reproduce the issue, perform the following steps:

1. Open the above mentioned game in the Roblox player.
  2. Join the game.
  3. Select your team.
  4. Equip the Disc Launcher. (Currently item #4).
  5. Observe the results.

Files

1 Like