Which one? [Need help]

Hey there!

So i’m planning to make a monster in blender, but i need a reference image/model. Iv’e found (and modified significantly) these two characters, but can’t seem to decide which one to go for.

Please note that they are very messy, especially the skeleton on the model on the left, because they are just reference models, not the actual build.

Here they are:

In my opinion, the one on the left looks much better than the one on the right, but looks too similar to something you would find in Fnaf. It would also look much cleaner than the one on the right when its animated, and it actually has a face. This one also fits the story, where it (or rather he) escapes the secret torture chamber under the school and uses old kids plush parts left from the abandoned school, after it shut down due to ‘The smell of blood and flesh’ which had spread throughout the school.

The one on the right looks more unique, but not as nice and clean as the one on the left. Additionally, when animated, it will look very off, with wires looking detached and all over the place. This one doesn’t really look like something you would find in fnaf, since there’s no sign of it being disguised as a ‘kids robot’. This character, would be a symbol for my game, because of how it doesn’t resemble anything found before.

Any opinions would be appreciated! Also make sure to comment why you picked your choice, and if you agree with my opinions on each skin.

• Left
  • Right

0 voters

5 Likes

The right one actually looks more FNAF-y to me. I like the left one more for that reason

4 Likes

Just to clarify, do you mean the one without parts of plush costumes, just metal and semi-transparent skeleton?

1 Like

Yeah, the one without the plush parts looks more like FNAF in my opinion.

2 Likes

I think I like the left one the most, gives me that withered animatronic vibe from FNAF.

2 Likes

But if you saw this in a game, not related to fnaf at all, would you be happy to use it as a skin for the monster when you are chosen, or would you feel like, ‘eh, feels like it’s copied and pasted from fnaf. Very unprofessional’?

2 Likes

Hmm, fair point.
If that model of the monster advanced I’d probably suggest giving the monster more of its own theme rather than a lets say semi-fnaf inspired monster that some people would say is a copy paste.

Thanks for bringing that up!

2 Likes

Thanks for the help.

What would you say i can do to make it look less fnaf inspired? I can go crazy with this monster since its a robot/human/ghost mix. Its stuck in this dimension where it can see everyone, but its black and white, and people can only see it when they have their eyes closed.

1 Like

The biggest part that makes it look fnaf-inspired is the exo-skeleton and just the wiring.

For recommendation on how to change it or just build something new I’d recommend mixing up all your inspiration, concepts and ideas until you come up with some sort of good result in your head. After that you should build the reference models.

Just looking at other monsters other people have made and trying to combine some ideas of those monsters can help drive players from having their first thoughts be “Ugh, another copy paste” or something like that.

Basically, you inspire of many other things rather than just one thing then just make it your own creation. :smiley:

Sorry if I roughly worded anything!

2 Likes

Thank you.

I personally thought the broken up costume made it look like fnaf, but i guess not. I will still redesign the costume slightly, but the whole exo-skeleton will be redesigned. I’ll also add some unique features that fit well with my game as you suggested.

I guess the only problem i have to overcome is not making it fnaf related. Basically everything i want to do with this monster is fnaf related in some way. For example the fact that the robot has a soul trapped inside of it, makes it fnaf related, or the fact that its got a torn up animal costume, makes it fnaf related. It’ll take me some time to come with a good design that isn’t fnaf related, but the player’s satisfaction with something new will be worth it.

Thanks for the help! :+1:

2 Likes

I’m very glad I could help! :+1:

2 Likes

The right one is better looking in my opinion. It’d be better if you gave him at least one hand.
If you’re going with the left, you should take the head from the one on the right and put it on the left (looks wayyy scarier)
Both are pretty sick though.

1 Like

I can agree. The one on the left at the moment doesn’t look too scary because i haven’t really had the time to mess with the head. I was planning to make it look scarier by adding stuff like rips and possibly some eye/light mechanism inside when redesigning it(or maybe you could give me an idea on what would make it look scary).

After making this comment, do you still think i should switch the heads regardless, or maybe add a mix?

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

I’m not sure of a head that would be scarier than the one on the right as it is or resembles a reverse bear trap… thats pretty scary…

I think you should experiment with other heads if you have an idea.
You could add some kind of eye tracking movement that follows players.
Try to switch the head and see the outcome
(sorry for the late reply.)

1 Like