Why are people disliking?

My game’s like-to-dislike ratio is currently around 61%, and I’ve been doing everything I can to improve it. I’ve fixed bugs, added new features, and made several updates, but the ratio hasn’t changed much. Can anyone help me identify what might be wrong and how I can fix it?

Game link: Survive Flight 871 [floor is lava mode UPDATE] - Roblox

4 Likes

Reasons why I think people might dislike the game:

• The thumbnails on the game’s page are quite empty. Maybe try adding some text or effects to them.

• The spawn area seems kind of cramped with 2 giant signs pointing to the shop and purchasable clothing right upon joining the game. I think this might drive some users off because they might think this is just a cash-grab game.

• The game seems to have lots of young players (judging by avatar and username). This is either really good or really bad depending on what your target audience is supposed to be. Young users usually buy stuff (gamepasses, developer products, etc.) from your game. But older users might not enjoy playing with 4 year olds.

• Overall, the game seems low-quality (no offence)

P.S Did you advertise your game or something? How did you get so many players?

3 Likes

also some famous people made videos on it, but how would i do so it dosen’t look like low quality game?

2 Likes
  1. You could work on the game’s page. If the thumbnails and icon give a good impression, the user might get curious and play the game.
  2. The spawn area. Following the logic of the first thing I told you, the spawn area should give a good impression. I would recommend taking the purchasable clothing away. Maybe make a gui button for a shop that would have all the buyable stuff in it. Also the large button that says “Invite friends to make the game more fun” could be a small button with a simple icon of a player in the corner so it takes less of the screen.

Also I noticed that when you get on the place it asks would you like to see the “tutortial”. You should fix the typo ;D

Thats about everything I think you should “fix”.

btw thats an amazing way to get your game known. The player sees that they have a chance of getting a rare badge so they make a video on it. I should take notes!

3 Likes

alr how would i fix the lobby to make a good impression?

2 Likes

This is not something you have to do but something that I found to get in the way as a player.

3 Likes

I’ve seen some other people point out the obvious, so here’s some smaller things in my opinion:

• The map just ends with a void, so you can see other stuff floating in the distance
• The map is kinda boring
• There’s no way to show how much wood you have which seems to be a vital part of the game? Or did I just not see it?
• the tools look like they took 20 minutes to make, try adding more animations, maybe some gui
• The polar bears just glide around
• The spawn area was kinda bad… (to cramped, ended in a void (again), a little bit small overall)
• The tutorial wasn’t great
• This is a bit petty, but it will make it feel higher quality if you use a custom teleport gui instead of Roblox’s default one.
• I only played once so I’m assuming, but there’s only one map so it probably gets boring quick
• Theres not much intriguing about the game because the poor thumbnail and (in my opinion) not enough “interactivness”

Overall it’s not bad, but it’s not good… It looks like you got the basics down and I’m sure it would do a whole lot better if you spent a little more time making everything feel more put together

4 Likes

I’m just going to give a critique in terms of gameplay and the game in general. Reasons why people might be disliking are sprinkled in.

The Lobby

• Instead of asking the player if they want to join a voice chat server when they join, why not just make a section for it in the lobby?

• I think you should remove the countless mannequins that have your t-shirts on that you can buy, I think they’re pointless especially when only one of them is related to planes, being the pilot shirt.

• Instead of adding a badge board, why not make a UI that shows badges that the user can open so that they can see all of the badges that they’ve obtained and can also see how to get them when you’re in the lobby, making viewing them more accessible even though you could also go onto the game page for this.
  • The wait time is a bit too long if you join a server and a plane hasn’t had someone enter it yet. I’ve been in situations where I’ve had to wait more than a minute to play, even though I want to play the game.

• Maybe you could make custom lobbies or something where the owner of the lobbies becomes the pilot and they can allow players in and manually start the game, it makes getting into the game faster. This could also remove the need for cars that don’t need to be in the lobby (and for some reason cost 99 Robux) or a rock climbing area.

The Intro

• The intro is very off, I just spawned into a seat and once I hopped out I just glitched out, I then proceeded to watch the plane and saw as some parts of the plane broke off (the wing and some other stuff), I thought this was somewhat-cool at first until I watched the fuselage fall linearly towards the ground.

• To make it better, I suggest disabling all player movement, forcing them into seats, and then just having a cutscene where the camera’s focused on the plane (when I got out of my seat my camera was clipping through the plane and it felt like I had no control over it because I wanted to look out the plane) that shows the plane actually crashing and breaking apart. An animation will probably make it feel more real if executed correctly, and although I’m not sure if you are even aiming for immersion, I think it would help your game if people were immersed in its environment and not what honestly feels like a flat wasteland.
      • The camera seems to clip in and out of the plane, but oddly enough I’ve only experienced this when on the snow map. I also would like to add that it’s strange how on most of the maps (specifically the “desert” and snow map) the plane seems to fall apart instead of crash into anything. (in retrospect I’ve realized there are very few particles coming from the plane, but it doesn’t help considering it took me a few playthroughs to notice it and how ineffective it is at communicating how the plane suddenly falls apart like lego pieces midair)

Gameplay

• On my first two playthroughs, I watched as the few who did seem to have some understanding of how to play the game ran up and collected resources from the suitcases. I tried to also collect something from them but they were all looted already. Though I was “lucky” (not sure because I saw the same igloo last time) enough to come across an igloo, which had a crossbow and some other stuff.

• I also had a plane randomly crash into me, I was confused until I realized I was just at the right place at the wrong time, or so I thought until the explosion cleared up and I realized I could use the broken plane scraps to make… wood, not metal, but wood. However, you can’t even make anything with metal or plastic except for those giant blocks with building tools.

• I would also like to note that the smallest scraps from that plane for some reason took the same amount of time as the bigger scraps to be converted into wood, which I think is just dumb since they are smaller.
      • I also think it’s strange that although we can make a tower (with bright neon lights?) and attract a helicopter that drops materials, we don’t get saved
  • On some other playthroughs, I noticed many players (your audience seems to be mostly composed of children) just ran around, and when a polar bear spawned right next to the plane, either they went up to it or ran as it came toward them. Rarely did I see anyone make a gun, resulting in many dying at the start of the game. I recommend making a small grace period, maybe from thirty seconds to a minute or two that allows players to gradually learn how the game works, with there being a skippable tutorial that explains the basics of the game (what happened, the suitcases, resources/materials and igloos, crafting, weapons, how to beat the game, and maybe other things like that rusted-up vehicle or the boat that takes you to a place where you can get metal.).

• Suitcases should exclusively contain food, it doesn’t make sense for them to contain lumps of wood especially considering how tiny they are, although I’ll make this an example to say that this and other aspects of the game are solely up to you.
    • Likewise, I think that there should be some section like a small/medium-sized forested area on the map where players can get wood from axes (trees could take 1-4 days to grow or something like that.), although I’m not exactly sure how this will work considering this is a mountain. (in retrospect you did do this in the forest map so good job.)
  • Maybe the banana and some other foods that can last the survivors for a day can be obtained from the luggage or an airline service trolley.

• The meat could also be cooked in the campfire instead of turned into wood, water, and bananas. I’d also like to add that the mechanics of consuming food and water are tedious. Clicking multiple times just to drink one bottle makes me more bored compared to if I were to simply hold it down for a few seconds to consume it.
  • After a bit I started crafting stuff and eventually learned about a game-breaking exploit where you can click the craft button but instead of placing it down, you can go back to the crafting menu and then hit craft again, having the potential of saving an infinite amount of wood. I primarily used this with the campfires, making it unfathomably easy to gain heat.

• I also ended up dying after I killed these two polar bears and then tried collecting their drops, may have happened to new players causing them to dislike the game but I’m not sure. (did they’re ghost kill me or smth)
    • Speaking of polar bears, I think that they should move around randomly and have a line of sight, and if a wall is obscuring their vision when a player is on the other side, they should walk around it to get to the player if they are already chasing them or walk the opposite way and roam around. I’ve seen several players die while inside of the plane because a polar bear slid next to it, so when one of their arms slightly touched the polar bear, they took damage and in some annoying cases, they repeatedly took damage and then died.
  • The game gets pretty boring at some point, especially after you start just collecting and killing random polar bears. Maybe if there were more mechanics/activities in the actual game especially ones that help you escape then it wouldn’t be as boring as it is right now.

• It makes absolutely no sense for how we can make an entire gun out of metal, so I thought of an idea where you could get stone and use that and wood to mine inside of the caves. There maybe could be enemies more powerful than the polar bears that try to defend or that live inside of the caves that you have to defeat to get to the ore. It might take some time but I think if you refine and expand the idea enough, it could add a new gameplay element of venturing out into the caves (just like how I brought up the forest idea).

• Also I’m not sure if this was intended or not, but I beat the game with that rusted-up vehicle by driving over to the winner area, so saving up 2000 wood was a COMPLETE waste of time.

• The vehicle is also very janky and feels unresponsive. I’ve had more than 10 seconds of airtime because the vehicle slowly fell to the ground when I held down W.

Gamemodes

• I’m not even going to sugar sugarcoat it, but the floor is lava is terrible. I watched as the lava rose after hiking up to the summit and 90% of the players died. They had a lot of time to reach the mountain, which is 100% on them since there’s text that clearly states to go up to the mountains, but the game mode still sucks because you can’t win. The lava seeps away all possible ways to get resources, the result being you being stuck on a mountain of snow with absolutely no resources as the lava rises and just kills you. If you’re going to make something like this then you need to put much more thought into it because I genuinely don’t know why this is even a game mode, to begin with when it’s practically impossible to beat.

• I’ve also only played this once because I didn’t think it was worth playing. I’m not sure how this can be improved at all because to me it just breaks the game play especially when escaping the mountains requires 2000 wood. (In retrospect you could also use the rusty vehicle but that takes a bit to build, wood, and time.)

• The sea flight was mid in my opinion, although I don’t know what to say about it but why can the sharks jump onto the plane?

• The forest was fine, but there’s no reason to be worrying about temperature (The same goes for any other maps, maybe the lava one but I don’t remember how it works in that game mode.)

• Also why do I use a pickaxe (called an axe in the game) to chop the tree down?
  • And the desert is flat and empty, I’m also not sure why the fan increases your temperature like the campfire (did you copy the code and then apply it to the fan without making it cool the player?) and why your temperature slowly decreases in the desert. (then again it depends on the type of desert we’re talking about, but the fan still shouldn’t increase the player’s temperature.)

• And as soon as I finished writing this, I went back to the game and it said that my body temperature was quote, “too high”. I’m at 56.09% temperature. Also, why does the water maker still use snow?

I’ve played the game for a bit so I might be able to answer most of your questions

the first two are definitely true, you can see the amount of wood you have in the crafting menu.

I agree, animations for players and enemies would make the game more engaging.

if anything, instead of focusing on the quality of the thumbnails or changing up the teleport gui, they should be focusing on the quality of the game first.

There are multiple maps but like the first they are pretty stale, and yeah the game really isn’t intruiging and there aren’t many activities except for crafting things and repetitively killing polar bears.

polishing it, removing pointless gamepasses, rework, improve, and expand maps, adding animations to players and enemies during tasks, etc…

Overall, I think the game just needs to be polished and refined, and also have some aspects of its mechanics reworked and thought out, the reason people are disliking could probably be attributed to them being kids and not understanding the game and getting killed early on. I thought at some point that I should make a critique instead of just explaining basic reasons why your game has a bunch of dislikes since the game idea is great, but the execution is meh when it could be so much more, like polishing, effects, environment, design, etc…

Rarely have I seen more than 7 people around day 5-10.

7 Likes

and now I just realized I typed 2046 words for a devforum post of all things :skull:

3 Likes

‘Survive x’ game titles usually drive people from even touching it.

Gamepasses seem to be p2w

1 Like

lol, thank you very much for the feedback. about the lava mode you can win but you need to craft a buidling too land build your way up should i change that? also what more mechanics/activities should i add?

1 Like

I wouldn’t really say, and if so I guess you could call it a miracle because there are 2,364 active players atm.

This game will probably die out at some point though, depends

1 Like

if you’re saying that I need to craft a building that brings you to the land that you could also go up, from my experience, there was no way to do this since the lava continued to rise

1 Like

For a game like this, that’s pretty hard to think about. Still, something like the expeditions into the caves or a forest (I’m talking about the snow map mainly for most if not all of these) that have harder enemies but yield better rewards like different metals or somehow, plastic that could get you out faster.

Maybe the players can also have a stat mechanic where doing different tasks can increase their knowledge of a stat that gives benefits. This could reinforce the teamwork part of the game.

Strength : Makes mining and chopping down trees faster, slightly increases melee weapon damage. Higher levels allow you to use heavier weapons. (this should strictly apply to melee, not any ranged weapons.)

Knowledge : Allows you to use resources more effectively, slightly reducing the amount needed to craft, and expands your crafting knowledge, allowing you to craft new objects with different resources depending on your level.

Adaptability : Makes your body adapt faster to your environment, causing your temperature to lower/rise less rapidly, also makes you more resilient to disease or infections from animals. Higher levels allow you to adapt to weather conditions faster.

Craftsmanship : Allows you to make higher quality tools and disassemble plane parts (and maybe other things in the future) in a shorter time (and possibly gain more resources like more metal scraps or bolts if that’s ever a thing), greatly reduces the amount needed to craft depending on the level.

Cooking : Allows you to make higher quality meals that yield more points of hunger and increase the speed at which you cook.

Observation : I noticed random footprints in the snow scattered around the map. Instead of everyone being able to see them, those with certain levels of observation will be able to see them (piles of snow that may hold rare objects that can be dug up using shovels or something). Maybe footprints can lead to igloos, lakes, outposts, caves, and other things but the footprints that lead to each can only be visible depending on your observation level. Higher levels will lead you to things like outposts where you will have to fight actual guards and stuff who are much harder than polar bears, but you can get much better rewards and resources, maybe even armor.

Builder : The builder can build things faster (building should take time to do, just like preparing meals (which should also take skill but can also be considered mastered at max level)). They could repair structures after they are damaged (damage can be caused by avalanches and boulders or something).

also maybe you can get guns from the outpost and not make it with 10 wood, 10 wood.

Also since I think I forgot to talk about the description:

Make the game more challenging so that meat can only be cooked using a campfire and that killing animals doesn’t drop any wood. (You can only get it from an axe and chopping down trees, but there will also be polar bears in the area reinforcing the survival aspect of the game.)

image image

The weather is not at all unforgiving. I saw an avalanche but all it did was make smoke surround the map for a day or so, and then it was over. Nothing rolled down the mountain and further destroyed the plane or anything that I or anyone else built, it was just as simple as that. Make avalanches a challenge.

Polar bears are a constant threat if you’re a child who doesn’t know how to craft or don’t have a gun. One bullet and they’re dead, and around 3-5 bullets if they are the black polar bear. Give them more health, and also make it so that some of them have a chance to have a virus so when they bite a person they may get it.

Imagine getting bit by a polar bear (or one of their cubs if you want to make that a thing), then you get Avian Influenza, Canine Distemper Virus, and Morbilliviruses. That would make things much more challenging, especially if you or anyone else didn’t know how to treat it. (not sure if polar bears can get rabies, although if they can I would research it.)

These diseases and viruses could give players a variety of effects, visual, physical, and maybe even mental, and some could also lead to death.

This could mean that you could also add a stat build (medic) that knows how to treat viruses and diseases, this would also have to result in players resting so that they could heal from their medical problems.

This could also lead to bandages being a thing, which you could probably find at outposts and maybe rarely in igloos.

2 Likes

I also invited one of my friends to check out the game and their thoughts were:

1. Survival

When it comes to actually surviving, it’s way too easy. The bears instantly go down in upon being shot once with a gun and I feel that it being that easy just makes the survival aspect non-existent. I also fail to understand why bears drop wood, water bottles, and other unrelated things upon being killed and not bear meat or something. Not to mention, it’s way too easy to get materials. The thing is, from the description, I would expect the game to be difficult considering the “harsh environment”, “unforgiving weather”, and “dangerous polar bears”. Speaking of the weather, it barely even poses a threat. The avalanches in the game don’t come often and barely do anything outside of obscuring vision, and outside of that, the only weather-related thing I see is the temperature bar, which barely even does much from my experience. There’s barely any strategy, all you need to do is craft a gun.

On the topic of the gun, it’s extremely overpowered. As I already said, the bears will die in one hit from the gun. But then there’s also the fact that the gun doesn’t even have ammo. You can keep shooting as long as you have a functioning hand. Making it so that the gun has a limited amount of ammo would implement a lot more strategy into the game, forcing you to have to do other things besides constantly shooting to survive. On the topic of weapons, there should probably be more weapons besides a pistol. As it is, it’s pretty boring that you can only “defend” yourself against bears by shooting the gun, when there are other ways to fend against them. And about the weather, there should be a variety of weather conditions (like rain, fog, and other stuff).

2. Crafting

A lot of things in the game are crafted with wood as if that is the only material, and a lot of the things crafted with wood make absolutely no sense. A gun (which is supposed to be made out of metal) is crafted with 15 pieces of wood, and a walkie-talkie (which should be crafted with metal) is made with 2000 pieces of wood. Since wood is so easy to collect, you immediately have access to a bunch of things from the get-go.

Other materials outside of wood should be much more prominent in the game, like plastic, paper, metal, etc. For example, if you can get metal, then that metal should be used to craft things that involve metal, like the gun and the walkie-talkie. Not to mention, there should be a lot more materials for you to get, and you should be able to combine multiple materials to create certain things (in other words, the crafting recipes should be more complex for certain things). Different types of materials should be harder to get (for example, wood should be the easiest material to get, and plastic should be a bit harder to get than wood or something like that). You should also need to be able to craft more important things, and you shouldn’t be able to craft a boombox that plays heavily outdated music. As crafting is right now, it’s barely important and seems to just be there only for the gun and walkie-talkie, as if the entire mechanic revolves around those two things.

3. Endgame

Having to collect 2000 wood to craft a walkie-talkie as the endgame makes absolutely no sense and is pretty tedious. As I already said, it should be crafted with metal and not wood, and it isn’t even difficult to do. There’s a difference between something taking an unnecessary amount of time to do and something difficult to do. I think that what should be done to complete the game is that you should have to do some traveling to get to someplace that has electricity and call for help from there.

4. Animals & Threats

I already stated my issue with the bears, but the wolves are practically useless. Not to mention, the whole taming mechanic doesn’t make much sense and is very barebones. It would be better if you needed to have a bone or something like that to tame wolves, and it would also be better if the wolves would defend the person that tamed them instead of just existing just to exist (from my experience). I also think that there should be more threats in the game (which would also make it more difficult) outside of animals. For example, things like hypothermia, exhaustion, and diseases, especially when you consider how vulnerable you are after a plane crash. There should also be more animals that attack you, especially in the forest map (like snakes and stuff).

5. Visuals

The game isn’t very appealing if I’ll be honest. The lobby itself doesn’t have much special going on, and for something that is supposed to look like an airport, it’s not very big (not to mention that you spawn outside of the airport instead of inside). The planes are way too small, and this is especially noticeable at the start when you are flying in the plane, with the planes being so small that your camera will be clipping through the plane half the time. The maps look bland and don’t have much going on with them, and although they are somewhat big, they’re just big. The bears look pretty goofy (especially when you consider that they are supposed to be threatening), the fish looks more like Swedish fish than anything (I’m practically nitpicking), the potatoes…, and the general aesthetic of the game isn’t very interesting. The day and night cycle doesn’t do much for the lighting and it’s not gradual in the slightest, going instantly from being bright as hell to being dark than the side of the moon that doesn’t receive light. In terms of the snow mountains, I can barely tell that they are mountains. That map looks more like a representation of Antarctica than it does snow mountains. Snow mountains can be covered in a lot of snow but not completely covered in snow, so for them to be completely covered in snow in the game doesn’t make much sense. Not to mention, at the end of the day, even if they’re snow mountains, they’re still mountains, and mountains are usually next to forests, meaning that there should be some trees in a snow mountain map, yet there aren’t any trees in sight.

2 Likes

So I decided to play the game (not fully mainly just drop into the spawn) and I suggest you change these things:

• Spawn is lifeless/building is pretty basic
  • Your badge wall doesn’t fit
  • Why are you trying to sell shirts to people on stands? They do not fit at all (And they’re pasted everywhere)
  • Spawning in there is NO tutorial/Guide system. ADD ONE
  • Instead of having a clickable wall gui asking for feedback, make it an actual gui.

Spawn is the first thing they will see. First impressions mean a lot if you didn’t know.

2 Likes

There is one in the actual game although I don’t remember what it looks like so I can’t say much about it.

Yeah and disappointingly enough, somebody said that they’d remake the entire airport, but lilman wanted to keep the original design since he thinks “it will be a it harder time for children to understand”

yeah this and the badges

1 Like

so i actual added a storm in sea mdoe but when people get striekd ( lose 60 health) then instead of going inside the plane they just chill outside in the open. How would i fix this?

1 Like

I guess make it so that the lightning can strike down twice on them, give them time to go back to the plane and then if they don’t go under something but they are in the proximity of it then strike them down again.

I don’t really know what to say about “sea mode” since it’s probably one of the most unrealistic out of all of them, although I still don’t know if you’re trying to aim for realism.

1 Like

I would add borders so you can’t run out of the map, also, make it more clear where players need to be to get into the plane and start the game: A green zone for example.

1 Like