Why won't this rig work?

So I’ve been working on rigging a character I made.

Everything was going just fine when I accidentally broke the rig. So, I had to restart. I redid the rig all over again, but when I open an animation editor, it won’t let me animate it. I have no idea why.

Here’s what the joints look like in the RigEdit Lite plugin:

Here’s what it looks like in properties:

If anyone has any idea why or has any tips, that would be very helpful, thank you!

2 Likes

Restart maybe? That helps most of the times. Dont re-rig it just restart the studio.

1 Like

Have you started rigging from the root part and then the other parts?
reply me if you don’t understand what i mean.

1 Like

Tried that, didn’t work. But thank you for the suggestion!

I did rig from the root part. It was working fine the first time when I rigged it the same way the first time. And now it’s just not. Thank you for responding!

What you did before this started happening?
Have you changed the RigType (in humanoid)?

The problem occurred when I was actually animating it for testing purposes. Out of nowhere, parts started glitched when I selected them and putting them in random rotations that I didn’t want.

What I’m starting to think the error is is that I used the same “glitched” parts, so the animator can’t detect a functioning Rig.

I’m not sure what you mean by that. If could elaborate that would be great.

If you use roblox studio from a web browser for some reason its different from the desktop launcher. I had a similar problem with being able to edit parts. Dumb, I know, but trust me, so is roblox studio.

2 Likes

If you rotated some parts of the rig (using the building tools) the Motors6D got destroyed (Motors6D always gets destroyed when you do this)

RigType is a property of the Humanoid object (wich is inside your character model, right?)

If your rig is R6 it only can have connections from the torso to the other parts (only generating limbs that goes from the torso and the other parts)

If your rig is R15 it can have limbs that goes in “tree” (it is harder to explain without images, so here goes one)

imagen

1 Like

I recently made an r15 rig of a custom character with custom limbs and it did work with r15 animations.
Heres how I did it:
Rig Rootpart to lower torso
lower torso to upper torso
UT to head and upper arms >lower arm> hand
LT to Upper legs > lower leg > foot

This hierarchy worked for me, and here and there I sorted and corrected the attachments so the custom limbs would be in place, and not have weird movements.

I think you should make a union for the head, dont keep the eyes or the hood separate. If you want to keep the hood separate then turn it into an accesory

1 Like

you need a humanoid in the model for it to register as a character to animate it

1 Like

Don’t you need a humanoid? I’m not into the character creation scene, but…

1 Like

This is only the second time I’ve done rigging, and the humanoid completely went over my head. Thank you I forgot about that.

However, it was still working before when I didn’t have a humanoid, that’s why I didn’t think I’d need it.

And quick question, what should the size of the root part be? Again, this is only my second time rigging something

This is very helpful, thank you.

That’s where I messed up :sweat_smile:

Thank you to all of you guys! When I get some time, I’ll see if the rig will be able to work after following all your suggestions!

4 Likes

Its better if you scale it as the same size as the whole torso, and after you’ve done rigging correct all the attachments and constraints accordingly. You can view them here:

2 Likes