well there is that for now:

10 Likes

And also there is that new lighting trick that I learned using surface GUIs

12 Likes

Daaaaaaaaaaang. Pleeease tell me how to do this :pray:

2 Likes

I guess this is pretty in-depth lol

2 Likes

Never seen that type of realistic lighting before.

That is amazing!

2 Likes

ok so it’s not that complicated what I did is take multiple “layers” of parts with a surface GUI that has a transparency set to like 0.97 so that it stays a little bit visible and put them behing the light source:

in that image I made the parts not transparent so that you can see them now let me show you what it looks like when I set their transparencies to 1 while keeping the surface GUISs at like 0.9ish
now for the effect to work properly those “parts” have to be facing the player’s camera at all times:

at night time for better view:

-I know that to make the layers face the player’s camera I could’ve just used billboard GUIs because they do just that but I found that this method had problems so I preferred scripting the layers so that they face the player’s camera at all times.

and if you need more indormations:

and feel free to send me a message in private if you got any questions.
-Edit: I forgot you got to enable shadows in the light’s properties and set the lighting technology to future

-and my of way doing it makes it so the effect might not be visible when you look at the light with a certain angle but I prefer this than a huge loss in performance, if you wanted the effect to be perfect you would need a big ammount of layers all around the light source at multiple different angles.

9 Likes

Wow, it looks so cool! I’m already looking forward to when you finish this project.

3 Likes

I need to know your methods of staying motivated! I can start work on a core game for about 2 days, then i either just start watching youtube or just make a different core.

1 Like

This will be a good core game, @NACER_RPG! I’ve been watching this topic forever. It is great to see you have come a long way. Can’t wait for it’s release. I’m making a core game for myself; do you have any recomendations?

1 Like

Looks amazing, Where do you find inspiration for the reactor-core game?

1 Like

always look for something new and original to put in your game something that has never been done

1 Like

Thanks! I’m making a core game that uses a Star (with different sizes) as the core!

1 Like

Half-life(Black mesa)-Portal(Aperture science) its good to only get the general idea from those try not to rebuild the entire map of Black mesa in roblox create your own unique game design

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve always thought about making a Reactor sort of game, was thinking of making one similar to the Narkina 5 from star wars.

2 Likes

Hello, I haven’t posted in a while I was quite busy this year and now I’m back and I really hope that this project will get achieved, and since I created this topic I have acquired a lot of newer experiences and knowledge and because this is called a “Devlog” I was thinking of changing the way I post stuff on here so from now on I will explain what I’m showing why I added it and how it works this way you guys get more information about what I’m doing and I also get to know when I’m doing something wrong (feel free to tell me when you spot anything that you find wrong or ask me any questions).

Area loading sytem:

How the system works:

-well this post is about an “area loading” system that I recently added it uses a local script that tracks its player by knowing if he is inside one or more invisible areas by using (GetPartBoundsInBox)WorldRoot | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

Each one of these areas have the name of the actual part of the map that they represent so for example the area used in the video sent in this post is called “ServiceHallway1” this way the game can know that the player has now entered “ServiceHallway1” and with that information it can load and unload parts of the map given their names by moving them to replicated storage or the opposite.

Why?:

One of the objectives that I have for this game is for it to be optimized so I’m doing what I can to achieve that and other than this area loading system as you might have noticed in the video that I am also using special mesh parts that only have the faces that would be actually visible to the player (these meshes have collisions that are similar to normal parts so it shouldn’t be easier to noclip or anything)

-and lastly I don’t expect the players to be able to see the areas appearing and disappearing the video was only to show how it works I can set the trigger areas however I want, make it so the area is loaded or unloaded when the player is at a location from which he can’t see it, I really don’t know if this whole thing is a good idea or not I’m just going to see if it works out well or not.

“feel free to add anything”

13 Likes

This game looks great I have literrly been here since my first day on devforum and today I just got verified

2 Likes

i can’t wait to see where this project will go

1 Like

This is awesome! Glad to see you are still working on this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is this going to be a fully functional game?

1 Like

Dude. The fact that you can script AND build phenomenal scenes is otherworldly to me. Keep it up!

1 Like