Working with Unions?

Hi, I’m attempting to work with Bodies on ROBLOX as a way of creating “Pokemon” creatures. I have seen others who have managed to decently replicate whole bodies & legs on a model, was wondering if anyone had any tricks as to recreating this?

Or would it simply be better to create a 3D model of the individual parts and import them to Studio?

1 Like

I have a 50 - 50 on unions because they aren’t really reliable at the moment and because of how easy it is to create in-game csg. However when it comes your case, I’d go for using a third party app to create characters for my game particularly because:

1. Reliablility
    When my mesh for some reason becomes corrupted, I have a file on my PC to replace that.

2. Flexibility
    I can easily add a custom character from blender without exporting the body parts and re-importing them back into studio, plus third party apps have better tools then those of what studio has.

3. It’s the Future
    Roblox recently added the avatar importer so I guess they will most likely keep on improving it in the future.

3 Likes

Yeah, the only problem with making them in programs like blender etc. roblox’s triangle limit is 10k when importing a mesh so be wary of it.

If you import the body parts individually

You shouldn’t really worry about importing, however optimisation is another issue here. We’re probably talking about a lot of body parts here and a ton of different characters.

Yeah, this is something roblox needs to work on. In the past I have made detailed cars in blender and tried inserting it into studio. However, the cars triangle limit was 10k and my object had something like 30k. It is to time consuming to insert each part separately and then recon-struct it in studio.

So just keep this in mind.

1 Like

I’m not a regular 3D modeler, but I think Roblox has a new feature for mesh splitting? It imports meshes individually, but easier I believe, but I’ve never actually seen it in action.

1 Like

10K is enormous in mesh design, not to mention that you’ll probably end up using multiple meshes anyways.
Also, a fun little fact to know is that Roblox CSG results often end up with 5 times more triangles than blender meshes, with 5 times less detail (cylinders are the worst).

2 Likes

It happens if you don’t join separate meshes in a single file (separate UVs).

1 Like

I would definitely suggest working in a modeling software. Not only would it allow you to craft your creatures more precisely, it also helps on performance since meshparts don’t create a bunch of unnecessary triangles like it would when using unions. If you’re going to make a lot of unions, then meshes are the way to go here for sure. I’ve made some pretty detailed models and haven’t been bugged by the 10k triangle limit.

2 Likes

Ideally it would just be the head, arms and legs that are seperate. I imagine I should be able to split the final product up into these pieces?

1 Like

Just import the models to Studio, just make sure to watch triangle count otherwise the game will crash on low end devices

1 Like