World bending shader

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to create world bending affects on games. Notable games with these affects include Animal Crossing, and Spore. This would allow for a wider array of unique games, instead of being stuck to a flat plain.

The basic idea of this is that you can create a completely flat world, but have it rendered in a way to appear curved. I’ve tried to make an incredibly difficult attempt at this kind of idea, however it’s not really intuitive to do it this way and requires a lot more tedious world building to get things right https://twitter.com/NinjoOnline/status/1398998230554210310

Examples of other platforms which have ways of utilizing this:

72 Likes

Would be nicer if Roblox added support for node based shaders, including vertex shaders (which this effect belongs to).

30 Likes

Insert obligatory link to zeuxcg’s “this is why we can’t have nice things” post here

7 Likes

Very hard or not, I still expect them to implement it in 2 to 4 years. Roblox is literally the only modern game engine I know of that doesn’t have this key feature.

11 Likes

That post is over 5 years old now. You’d think if a hack week project in 2015 could come close, then 6 years later it wouldn’t be that difficult to implement now

3 Likes

I understand zeuxcg’s response and I won’t pretend like I know anything about this, but I agree with you. After reading this post, I get why this is a difficult feature to implement, but it is disappointing to see the link to this post dropped every single time someone mentions the feature to create our own shaders (for the past 5 years…)

Even if Roblox had to move aside some other things right now or for the next few years to begin development on this, I would be perfectly fine with it. Developers being able to develop their own shaders is becoming more of a necessity each year, and I would hope that with a few years of development, this can be implemented rather than seeing developers request every shader they need one by one.

12 Likes