Would I need to give the UGC creators credit?

I was making a kinda story game with some NPCs, I was wondering if I used some UGC to make them, would I have to give each individual UGC designer credit? I am quite confused about this, because, in adopt me, they have UGC in their dress up catalogue, and I don’t think they gave credit?
Thank you for helping me :smile:

Sorry if this is on the wrong category, I’m fairly new to devforum, but I hope this is the right one!

2 Likes

I think you need to give permission to the creator of Ugc

1 Like

I’m not overly sure so don’t quote me on this but, games and places are similar in when they are uncopylocked (authors are able to let everyone take a copy of their game by disabling copylock), if I remember correctly this puts the game under a license which allows the remixing and redistribution of the modified game, without the need to give credit. I would say UGC and other content types probably fall under the same license when they are made public, which UGC is. So, no, I do not believe you HAVE to give credit, I would anyways to be safe and to give credit where it is due.

2 Likes

If the UGC you are using is free, credit would not be required as they are willingly putting an open source product to market without the intent of profit. I think the tricky part comes to when you want to use UGC that might be off-sale or that requires payment. At that point I think the best course of action would be to get written approval from each user and then ask that user whether or not they require you to give credit for using their asset. It most likely comes down to a user to user basis rather than a policy from ROBLOX as a whole.

1 Like

You need to ask the creator of the UGC item as the items essentially have copyright.
Any textures, models etc.

With this being said, credit wouldn’t be the only thing necessary here.

Read more here: https://en.help.roblox.com/hc/en-us/articles/206388086-Can-I-use-Copyrighted-material-on-Roblox-

2 Likes

Give them credit. Put a “special Thanks” section at the bottom of the game description or something similar.

Edit: Sorry not meant to be a response. @Noti_fied

1 Like

You shouldn’t be thinking of credit, you should be thinking of permission. Our UGC creations are our IP and using them in your game without permission isn’t a good idea.

Most UGC creators can be easily reached on Twitter or the Dev Forums, and also it bears repeating:

Just because someone else is using IP doesn’t mean you’re allowed to too

Adopt Me, for example, got explicit permission to use those items from the creator.

3 Likes

Thank you! That makes perfect sense. One more thing I was wondering:
Would I need to do this for:

• Roblox Items, eg hats, wings
  • Clothing (to be honest I might make my own just in case)
    :smile:
  1. Roblox-made items are usually CC0 lisence, with the exception of some Roblox-made partnership specific assets, such as Hot Wheels, Harry Potter, etc.
  2. Yea, you need to ask for permission from clothing artists, and definitely credit them if you do. Many people don’t, but they absolutely should.
1 Like