Wrong Search Results in Toolbox

I was using the toolbox to try and find a placeholder image, so I searched for “gift emoji” and got some strange results:

It doesn’t happen when you search for just “gift” (which returns relevant mostly relevant results) but sometimes will with other word variations of the same query (e.g. “gift log” or “gifter”)

Screenshots

@aaron_mccoy realized that “gift” in German translates to venom/poison! So it seems to be translating my search query automatically, resulting in irrelevant results.

Expected behavior

Normally, when using the search functionality, I don’t expect it to be perfect, but normally the results are relevant for the most part & not completely unrelated to the search query. If there are no results for my query, it shouldn’t display any results. If my system language is English, it shouldn’t automatically translate my search query to another language.

5 Likes

+1 for that from me. Also when i search for model by the exact name it wont always show

2 Likes

Searching anything with pickaxe in it and having more then 1 word gives results about cars for some reason as far as I can tell, but the other words included will describe what car images you get.

Image: Searching for "pickaxe icon"

Image: Searching for "white pickaxe"

Image: Searching for "broken pickaxe"

I’m confident this is because the asset has similar instance names, or it has a similar description. Roblox is powerful enough to do this now. Also, I suggest you search better or more specific instances if you want the certain items you want to pop up to pop up. If you can not find the results you would like to find, you can also use icon packs, plugins, etc. There is many different resources for you to use, so in conclusion, this is not a bug.

This is because in the dictionary, the word “car” has similar synonyms to pickaxes, or synonyms that have similar synonyms that are similar to pickaxes, and so on. There is millions of words which can connect.