YouTube links are broken for Android

Hello Everyone,

Title pretty much says it all; when you click on a linked youtube channel on mobile, it does not work. It says the OS is too low. This currently appears to be Android only, (might even be A11 related,) but if it happens on Apple please let me know.

Videos

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LCoE-1zY-o38vx_C8o8TkdFIW0KkQ-_Q/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LDFVC2bE34xLXHSq6pCdoFuvJZbPjTId/view?usp=drivesdk

Specs

I am using a Pixel 4

Repro

1. Open the Roblox app on an Android phone.
  2. Find a group with a YouTube channel linked.
  3. Click, and you will receive an error message telling you your software needs to be updated.

This seems to happen 100% of the time for me.

As always, if I am missing something, or you have something to add on, please let me know. I would like to get confirmation this is happening. I only started noticing this in the last week.

Thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

Update:

Thanks @devinkid1 for being super helpful!

6 Likes

I can confirm this is happening for me too. I am using an LG G7 ThinQ.

2 Likes

Are you using Android 11 as well?

2 Likes

Yes, I am using Android 11. I will try on my IPad and see if anything bad happens on that too.

2 Likes

So it doesn’t happen on my iPad Mini 4 with iPadOS 14.1.

1 Like

It does seem to be an Android issue then. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

I have an iPhone 7 and everything works as normal. So it might be your phone or an android issue. Remember, Android is open source so anyone can modify it.

2 Likes

Are you sure this is to do with Roblox and not YouTube itself?

It might be the supported feature isn’t available on your device for some reason or another on YouTube’s end.

1 Like

It’s a Roblox issue alright. Clicking YouTube links from anywhere else do not result in an error. It probably has to do with the latest update, and it might have somehow lost compatibility for A11. I will check the FFlag Watcher.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure this is the reason.

On android, it looks like it uses a custom web browser (or just a web browser that doesnt support youtube) and tries to open Youtube in the browser. It doesn’t have support for it so it will show an error.

However, on iOS it opens the entire Youtube app.

1 Like

Android uses google chrome as a default web browser, Apple uses google as a default web browser.

This happens to me too. Its definately not just Android 11, because I have a Moto g7 with Android 10.

This is still in the Roblox app, not the YouTube app.

The Roblox app tries to open the YouTube website in its own web browser, not Chrome.

3 Likes

I’m looking at possible changes right now. Haven’t seen anything, (Probably won’t but just in case.)

I will try to emulate an android (Device) using blue stacks.

1 Like

THIS HAS BEEN FIXED!

So here’s what we know. (I will update this when I can!)
If I didn’t add your device to this list please tell me.

Issue

On mobile, when you go to any group page’s Youtube it will show an error.

Not loading correctly

• Moto G7 with Android 10 @Fire540Games
  • LG G7 ThinQ with Android 11 @devinkid1
  • Pixel 4 with Android 11 @FxllenCode
  • Bluestacks with Android 7.1.2 (Samsung Galaxy S8+) @devinkid1 @Mrdabup123456

Is loading correctly

• iPad Mini 4 with iPadOS 14.1 @devinkid1
  • iPhone 7 with iOS 14.1 @Mrdabup123456

Other info

2 Likes

I just find it hard to believe its a Roblox problem in relation to how iPhone users aren’t experiencing the same issue. At its core, although Android and iOS is treated differently for displaying the visuals the same redirect links should apply. In this scenario, its essentially just opening YouTube within the app (not sure on the methodology behind this part as I’m an iOS user personally).

Roblox was last updated on the 29th of October on Android (source Google Play) - so unless its been happening since then its likely YouTube has changed something on their end so either:

• something has broken in the integration stage between YouTube and Roblox (aka it should fix in time as YouTube will need to fix this),
  • something has changed in the integration stage between YouTube and Roblox (as such yes, Roblox needs to adapt the app to handle it).

I’m just more leaning on YouTube being at fault mostly.

I have the current version of iPhone 14.1

1 Like

I disagree. I only noticed this issue recently, so the latest update likely has something to do with it. It also appears that the app has had some issues since the last update. These issues do lead me to believe that this is an issue on Roblox’s end. If it is entirely Roblox – that’s unlikely, It’s a good theory that YouTube changed something and Roblox needs to adapt – then hopefully they can roll something out, as this could potentially be severely affecting some users who promote their channel on Roblox.

1 Like

Its probably just a Roblox problem, not a YouTube problem. What it does on Android is it tries to open the YouTube website in some weird browser still in the Roblox app. What it should do is open the YouTube app instead. If it was a YouTube problem, it would show up in the YouTube app, not on the YouTube website in the Roblox app. I could be wrong but I think that’s whats happening.

2 Likes

Here is my google document as of right now: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-aq95PF0FZ3a2h1gRsWVfyyEa7BioPH1-TLXHoMdHt8/edit

1 Like