YouTube Live Chat Viewer

Thumbnail

By @avodey (my main account)!

Summary

This plugin shows you the live chat of your Roblox development streams. If you don’t have a second monitor, viewing your own chat will require looking at OBS or a browser. We want to stay in studio, and this plugin helps you do that easily!

:package: Install on Roblox

Video

YouTube Video

Same video as above, but on YouTube incase the DevForum breaks:
https://youtu.be/3w6mlgPEQ84

Setup

The setup is fairly simple. You’ll be needing a Google API Key to access public information on YouTube. Here’s a tutorial that I found to be the easiest to use:

Sub-tutorial: Secure your Key

In case your key gets leaked, you should restrict your key to being able to access the API we need.

Go to this page:

And then press Restrict Key near the bottom. You can then choose YouTube Data API v3 to restrict the key to only be able to use this single API. Then, press Save.

Now that you have your key, you can insert it into the plugin’s settings.

:warning: Notice

You’re able to create multiple projects (with one key each) to increase the API limits. This is not recommended, but nothing happened when I did this to test out the plugin. The basic limit is 10,000 requests per day (resetting each morning), which you will likely not surpass if used in your own livestreams.

The plugin automatically waits to receive new messages using the data from API responses. Doing it like this will sync up well with the actual live chat!

Conclusion

I made this because I wanted to start doing Roblox development streams. I hope it can encourage others to do the same!

Positive and negative feedback are both appreciated!

Rating (anonymous)

0 voters

16 Likes

My god! Such a good thing to have even if I don’t stream. I know this will help out a lot of developers! Thank you so much.

++ rep for the post :heart:

4 Likes

Oh, you decided to open source this. Great! I won’t be using this because I don’t stream but this is still amazing for just looking through stuff. Thanks!

Now, make a twitch chat preview.

1 Like

Actually a really cool plugin, if only it had Twitch support…

1 Like

Twitch uses a server connection to do this, which isn’t possible on Roblox. You can only make requests, not receive them. Sorry!

5 Likes

This is absolutely fricking fire dud

This is so cool i had never seen anyone ever think of something like this. EPIC.