Ability for skies and skyboxes inside studio and Roblox games to rotate around realistically

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to be able for skyboxes for a long time to rotate inside studio and lighting, but as well as in-game when playing your favorite game or as a developer, testing some important things during a workflow.

Alright, most of us have played a game that has some sort of rotating skybox function/system that is outside of Roblox that is made in Unity like Sci-fic games or maybe adventure games that have something similar to this as well. Can’t get some game names but if some of you know, maybe tell me?

Video 1:

At the video above, we can see that the current skybox that we had for many years now has never moved and it is just a decal on the top, bottom, and so on, but for most developers who try to replicate this, they just get a big mesh to cover up the game/map then slap some decal onto it like a red or a simple blue, then script it to where it moves like those horror skies in the toolbox or in many horror games like the one below:

Video 2:

The video above uses some sort of hinge and RotateV in order to move the whole mesh around while in motion, which would be cool years ago but for today, it wouldn’t be that amusing a bit. It is still if you made it more realistic.

There are plenty of youtube videos out there about rotating skies on Unity game engine and other engines that allow you to code and customize a sky and rotate it realistically with clouds and maybe some beautiful atmosphere, below in an explanation and some youtube videos that explain and show what would skies look like when they are in rotation.

Here are some examples of what it would look like inside studio or in a Roblox would be on the videos below if it could be added today or maybe in the following years:

Videos:

Mini Unity Tutorial - How To Rotate The Skybox In Realtime - YouTube

How to move Skybox in Unity|| Rotate Skybox in Just 1 line of code|| Unity3D - YouTube

If Roblox can add this feature and to address this issue, it would improve gameplay and my development experience because it would make things more realistic when day/night time is within a game and scripted but also for future clouds like Procedural Clouds in the last wave on the roadmap for this year.

GIF:

Y6wH5WA

Here is a GIF from an old studio feature that described and showcased rotating skyboxes back then, but for today’s world, it would be a whole lot different. :eyes:

In reality, I think this might be something that I would use a lot, and maybe to the other developers out there as well and for Roblox to step it up a notch with realism and creativity from developers.

This has been brought up previously here:

18 Likes