1 Stud = 1mm? [Solved]

A while ago I had planned on making a mic stand for players in a game. But since I use a Computer Aided Design program (i.e. Fusion 360) to make simple models(I’m not a dedicated modeller), I came across a point where I had to try and convert Studs to millimetres.

According to this post, 1 stud ≈ 0.28 metres, which is = 280mm. I used the conversion above and ended up importing this into my game.

Model in Fusion 360

Model in Roblox Studio

This made it clear to me that 0.28 m is way too big to be one stud.
It also pointed out that the units used in the World Panel Settings might not actually be studs to begin with. (the units of measurement used there may be totally different)

So I decided to export my Roblox world as an OBJ file and import it into Fusion 360. I saw this

• this huge peach rectangle with the red line on the left is the baseplate
  • the green square is the Spawn.
  • the bigger peach Square next to it is just a prototype I was working on
  • The 2 dots on the far left and far right of the spawn are the actually Block rigs
    The 3rd dot in the middle is just a small part I had made

If you look at the increments(which are in millimetres(mm)) on the right side of the grid, you can notice that the baseplate takes up ≈ 500mm of space.

I took the block rig I built(using the build rig thing) in studio and measured it’s real life height using fusion 360.

The block rig was ≈ 5mm tall. I then proceeded to measure how tall the block rig actually was in Roblox studio and found it to be ≈ 5 studs tall.
NB: Roblox characters are, on average, 5-6 Studs tall.

Size of y axis = 5 studs

From this I depicted that 5studs : 5mm… Which implies that 1 stud : 1mm… which then implies that 1 Stud ≈ 0.001 meters. Using the imperial system, 1 stud ≈ 0.039370079 inches

Just to confirm, I decided to import my avatar into Fusion 360 from Roblox Studio and compared its size to the Block rig. They were just about the same size!

Comparison of Block rig, Rthro(me, but with the hair and headphones removed) and Spawn block

if u have a CAD app, you can try to import a roblox character mesh yourself, measure its height and give me feedback as to how tall it was for you. I would appreciate the feedback.

My Verdict
  • The numbers we see in the World Panel Settings may not be in ‘Studs,’ else, if they are in Studs, then Roblox is unclear or undecided about an official conversion of measurement for Studs.
  • When Modelling, 1 stud ≈ 0.001 meters, or 1 stud ≈ 1 millimetre.
Am I wrong?
  • If at all I’m completely wrong or mistaken at a certain point, please kindly inform me with a reply explaining where I went wrong. If you can, offer a better verdict. It would be much appreciated.
    I will take down this Topic if I have been convinced otherwise.
Off-topic joke

If Roblox started making toys, they would probably be the first toys to have a ‘Toy went missing’ hazard sign on the box.

1 Like

Well, apparently Fusion 360 displays Roblox units as milimeters. Perhaps you can change it somewhere in the settings?

They are Studs. The scale in World Panel Settings is correct, and real-life objects remade in Studio with that scale feel natural in size.

It’s the conversion betweeen Roblox and Fusion 360 that goes wrong

3 Likes

I believe I can change the units in Fusion 360 to Centimeters. Let do that and import the avatar once more to see if there’s a change.

You were right!

Fusion 360 thinks the height = 5.105m
After changing the units and importing the block rig again, it gave a different measurement. I guess there’s an issue when importing the meshes between the 2 programs just as you mentioned. Thank you.
I don’t think I’ll delete this topic, just in case it comes in handy for someone else.

1 Like

That’s still not entirely correct if you want to use Roblox’s unit conversion scale though. What you set is 1 stud = 1 m, however what you actually should use is:
1 m = 3.6 studs
or
1 stud = 0.28 m.
(No clue if Fusion 360 supports that though)

I understood what you meant earlier. When I typed:
“Height = 5.105m”
I was just trying to show that Fusion 360 assumed the height of the block rig was 5.105m, which it’s not.
That’s why I agreed with you that there is a problem when importing models from Roblox Studio to fusion 360. So yes, 1 stud is 0.28m
I apologise if didn’t communicate well.

1 Like