17+ Experiences Can Add Support for Strong Language

A good example would be like this:

Player makes a decision to betray NPC

“God, why did you do that? You’re so f-ing stupid!” - Any reasonable player would enjoy this, as they realise it’s not ‘real’ and it does help a plentiful amount.

9 Likes

How is this going to be moderated with the current moderation system which does not understand context?

2 Likes

Is there any official explanation by Roblox on why all these ‘adult’ features are 17+ instead of 18+?

Why not bump it up one year? (especially for dating related stuff…)

4 Likes

because 18+ is for *orn 17+ isnt

6 Likes

Can the Chat/Text filter review requests be updated for to include this as an option? I already have found issues with this newer filter (various simple variations of un-filtered swear words, sometimes even just by adding a “s” at the end, get filtered)

Additionally, can you resolve the words that shouldn’t be even filtered problem, that keeps happening? I can’t even say the word “spoon” or “scooter” (or any of the other incorrectly filtered words) in a 17+ Experience with ‘Strong Language’ enabled.

2 Likes

I am aware that it shows that on the mobile app, but my question was for website and desktop app as there currently is no such feature for those two.

1 Like

Woah, with this feature. I don’t know if it could pass the audio with strong language.

(That’s because I want to make GTA-Styled game around 10 years later.)

2 Likes

Why not for 13+ games anymore?

The game needs to allow it first! :smiley:

1 Like

I still need a question answered.

Can we get a censor / age checking service?

You see, one major problem currently is that 17+ games require ID verification and a lot of people don’t want to do that.

The verified 17+ users on Roblox is currently still rather… small and not very profitable for games.

I have plenty of friends who are already in their 20s but with whom I cannot test or play these games together because they either don’t want to or don’t really trust Roblox with their ID.

Uploading 17+ and 13+ versions of my game is a bit of an hassle.

Especially if I’ll have strong language in a game, I’ll have to completely remove any words or mentions of it in 13+ versions of said game including where you’d never see it, which is a lotta work for a single man.

Okay so hear me out.

I would love to have some sort of “censoring service” or a service that let’s me check if someone is verified.

I actually want my 17+ games to be playable by unverified users, but if the user is unverified or below 17, I’ll censor and reduce all the extreme content so it follows the 13+ guidelines.

If all of this can be done within the same experience it would make it much easier for people to enjoy and I’d have to do less work maintaining 2 copies of a game and can instead just script the whole censoring process in.

I really wish to hear something about this. :pray:

10 Likes

I like this. Sadly the people over at The Sims are doing the total opposite: going from risque trailers to not even being allowed to say the most minor of swear words in their Discord server—like ‘crap’.

2 Likes

FilterStringForUserAsync or something simular, use a word like “damn” or something
if it filters, they are <13

this can be inaccurate depending on what word u use or whatever, but when i test the word, i noticed 13+ users can mainly see it, i didnt test this method tho

3 Likes

This system is highly inaccurate and wouldn’t work.

Only verified 17+ players can join 17+ games and even if <17 users SOMEHOW could join the game, this would be a very inaccurate way to check if they’re old enough.

The problem also is, if I make a game 13+, I cannot even have strong language hidden in scripts or text that the user never sees because Roblox moderation scans through a game’s contents.

Even if I never show a <17 user any strong language, moderation will still detect strings of text hidden in the game files and moderate it.

So I either have to work extra hard on 2 games, one being 17+ and one being 13+ or I have to lock out a lot of users and let them miss out on a quality experience.

I just wish Roblox had a censoring/age checking service so I can have different age groups in the same game and just censor/hide content for those who are not verified.

It would be the best of both worlds.
17+ content for those old enough, accessibility AND profit.

6 Likes

I thought you meant something else, mb idk what i was thinking of when i replied that

2 Likes

I think there is a Roblox article on the devforum that states its allowed as long as its not accessible or viewable by your audience.

6 Likes

Can we swear against inanimate objects that don’t represent people or types of people?

6 Likes

This is awesome. Swear words amplify expression a lot. I do wish you were able to use swear words directed towards npcs/players in terms of cutscenes. Couldn’t ask for more though.

3 Likes

Ok. This is epic. I just hope there is no going overboard on the bans, which would need context on the chat between me and someone with whom I am chatting.

Edit: What about voice chat?

4 Likes

Someone make non-theft bloxy (no not gta) a real thing please.

that’s cool, although i do remember roblox being a kids platform? like what if kids just bypass the 17+ barrier by using their mothers ID or something?