2018 Spring & Summer Accelerator & Incubator Applications!

Hello developers far and wide!

The Roblox 2018 Spring and Summer Accelerator & Incubator application process is open! If you would like the opportunity to come to Roblox HQ to create new games or improve existing ones while working alongside the engineering and developer relations teams, then we have a great opportunity for you! Please apply below for one of our upcoming sessions and the program you are interested in. We are looking for developers from all backgrounds and skill sets, this includes builders, scripters, music composers, UI designers and any other development categories on the Roblox platform. We encourage everyone who is interested and experienced with Roblox development to apply. Summer sessions are a bit more popular, so if you are available for Spring, we encourage you to sign up as spots will not fill up as quickly for that session.

With the success of these programs during the past summer, we are continuing to offer group applications. So be sure to get your development teams together and apply as a development studio, or if you do your best work as a solo creator then that’s great too! The choice is up to you.

If you are unsure about your level of proficiency, we still encourage you to apply!

(Spring&Summer sign up link)

Thanks,
2Blox2Quit

49 Likes

FAQ

What is the accelerator and incubator program?
Accelerator Program

• To provide the developers of Roblox the tools, knowledge, and skills to create better games, as well as use their feedback to improve our platform.

• Develop games of your design and pitch them to a producer, as one would in a AAA Studio.

• Great opportunity to make a great game as you grow in your knowledge in building a game on time and on multiple platforms.

Incubator Program

• The games made in this program affect the platform in a fundamental way that provides an improved developing ground for all Roblox developers.

• The objective of the program is to produce games that are currently difficult to create on the Roblox platform.

• Developers in this program are asked to make these challenging and hand picked games that will directly impact Roblox.

• Work with the Engineering and Product teams to help shape the future of Roblox.

If I am new to/just learning Roblox development, should I apply?
Both programs are designed for experienced developers who have demonstrated proficiency and have a deep understanding of Roblox’s systems and game development process. We encourage everyone to apply, but these programs are built to provide experienced developers the guidance and support needed to accelerate their success on Roblox.

Am I allowed to apply for both programs?
Yes, you are allowed to apply for both the Accelerator and Incubator programs however if your applications for both are successful, you may only choose to participate in one of the programs.

Do I need to attend in person?
Yes, both programs will require participants to work full-time at the Roblox HQ in San Mateo, California.

Why are there no dates for the program?
While we have a general range of the months we want each program to be held over, we are quite flexible with each group’s availability and will work with accepted applicants to set exact start and finish dates in your offer letter.

The rough times at which our sessions run are:
Spring sessions run between January to May for both programs.

Summer sessions run in May to August for the Accelerator program and May to October for the Incubator program.

Do I need to live in the United States to participate in these programs?
No, however, if you live outside of the United States, you will need a J-1 US exchange visa. If you are accepted to participate in these programs, Roblox will assist you with the visa process. The visa requires you to be pursuing further education (college, university, etc. - this does not require you to be enrolled in a US school).

Can these programs be credited as internships at my university?
Many universities do provide credit for these programs but that varies widely. You should consult with your specific university officials on this topic.

How long do the Incubator and Accelerator programs last?
The Accelerator program runs for 12 weeks, and the Incubator program entails a 20-week program, lasting five months.

Both programs have some flexibility within the runtime range of the programs.

Do I have to be 18+ to participate in these programs?
Yes. If you will be 18 years old by the time of your Accelerator or Incubator program starting, you can still participate.

How will housing work?
You will need to find your own accommodations and pay for rent, but these programs pay enough for you to live in the area in a roommate situation. In the past, Accelerators and Incubators have teamed up to find places to stay for their tenure at Roblox to split the cost of rent. Upon your application being accepted, Roblox will reach out to you with a channel for meeting and talking with other program participants so that you can get to know people with whom you may be staying during your time with Roblox. The other program participants are Accelerators, Incubators, and interns at Roblox.

Does Roblox provide free snacks at the HQ?
Yes! Tons

19 Likes

Intrigued by the accelerator program for starters, but I have a question.

Would we have to make our own way to California if we do not live in the United States, as in, fund it by ourselves or would it be paid for by Roblox? I’m assuming we’d have to fund it for ourselves, but I’m just curious.

You will need to purchase your own way to California.

1 Like

The Accelerator program was lifechanging. I completely recommend anyone who is on the fence to apply.

18 Likes

Incubator program is pretty cool. You get to go to meeting with engineers and tell them why you need X feature and what it’s usage cases are and you have conversations with them about it. They’ve actually shipped things that we’ve suggested when we gotten here and it’s dope.

13 Likes

what if we live in the us though :thinking:

1 Like

All transportation to ROBLOX is on your own.

3 Likes

Seems fair, I could easily make my way down there. So I am going to apply.

1 Like

Got’cha. Just making sure as I am from the United Kingdom.

1 Like

Really want to do it, but I need to be in college in order for me to get a visa

Guess I have to wait until 2020 :frowning:

2 Likes

You have to fund transport yourself but Roblox typically pay for the J1 visa.

3 Likes

So does this means that it doesn’t matter if I apply as 17 and I’ll be 18 by that time, right?

2 Likes

Right, I see. Hopefully flights from London to California won’t be too much. Thanks.

You can apply if you will be 18 by the time the program starts. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m going for the accelerators program. @Nightgaladeld what if my best work is currently paid access?

2 Likes

I applied when I was 17 and I didn’t turn 18 until July. They are flexible with the schedule and allowed me to start as soon as I turned 18, a couple of weeks after everyone else started :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

You may apply with paid access games, our team will be able to check it out.

3 Likes