It’s that time of year again, the Roblox 2019 Spring Accelerator & Incubator application process is open.
If you would like the opportunity to come to Roblox HQ to create creations while working alongside the developer relations team, and engineering teams, then we have a great opportunity for you!
This year we are opening up the program for people to apply with not only games but also to apply with modules, plugins, apis, or any unique social experiences. We are looking for developers from all backgrounds and skill sets, this includes builders, scripters, music composers, UI designers and any other development categories on the Roblox platform.
While filling out the application, there will be a section called “Elevator Pitch.” This section is for you to write 1-3 sentences on what you would want to work on while attending the program.
We encourage everyone who is interested and experienced with Roblox development to apply! If you are unsure about your level of proficiency, we still urge you to apply!
Deadline to Apply: July 20th
Summer Signs Ups will be posted in a couple of months
Developer Relations Team
What is the accelerator and incubator program?
- Provide the developers of Roblox the tools, knowledge, and skills to create better creations, as well as use their feedback to improve our platform
- Develop creations of your design and pitch them to a producer, as one would in a AAA Studio
- Great opportunity to make a great creation as you grow in your knowledge in building a game on time and on multiple platforms
- The creations made in this program affect the platform in a fundamental way that provides an improved developing ground for all Roblox developers
- The objective of the program is to produce creations that are currently difficult to create on the Roblox platform
- Developers in this program are asked to make these challenging and hand picked creations that will directly impact Roblox
- Work with the Engineering and Product teams to help shape the future of Roblox
If I am new to/just learning Roblox development, should I apply?
- Both programs are designed for experienced developers who have demonstrated proficiency and have a deep understanding of Roblox’s systems and game development process. We encourage everyone to apply, but these programs are built to provide experienced developers the guidance and support needed to accelerate their success on Roblox.
Am I allowed to apply for both programs?
- Yes, you are allowed to apply for both the Accelerator and Incubator programs however if your applications for both are successful, you may only choose to participate in one of the programs.
Can I apply with a team?
- Yes, you can apply by yourself or with a team. If you apply with a team make sure all members fill out the application.
- If you apply by yourself, we encourage you to find contractors to help you.
Do I need to attend in person?
- Yes, both programs will require participants to work full-time at the Roblox HQ in San Mateo, California.
When will I find out if I move forward in the application process?
- The Developer Relations team will reach to you no matter what. This may take up to 6 months.
Why are there no dates for the program?
- While we have a general range of the months we want each program to be held over, we are quite flexible with each group’s availability and will work with accepted applicants to set exact start and finish dates in your offer letter.
Do I need to live in the United States to participate in these programs?
- No, however, if you live outside of the United States, you will need a J-1 US exchange visa. If you are accepted to participate in these programs, Roblox will assist you with the visa process. The visa requires you to be pursuing further education (college, university, etc. - this does not require you to be enrolled in a US school).
Can these programs be credited as internships at my university?
- Many universities do provide credit for these programs but that varies widely. You should consult with your specific university officials on this topic.
How long do the Incubator and Accelerator programs last?
- The Accelerator program runs for 12 weeks, and the Incubator program entails a 20-week program, lasting five months.
What if all my work is paid access?
- Roblox will be able to still look at it, but be sure the work is not private.
Do I have to be 18+ to participate in these programs?
- Yes. If you are 17 years old but will be 18 years old by the start date of the program, you can still apply.
How will housing work?
- You will need to find your own accommodations and pay for rent, but these programs pay enough for you to live in the area in a roommate situation. In the past, Accelerators and Incubators have teamed up to find places to stay for their tenure at Roblox to split the cost of rent. Upon your application being accepted, Roblox will reach out to you with a channel for meeting and talking with other program participants so that you can get to know people with whom you may be staying during your time with Roblox. The other program participants are Accelerators, Incubators, and interns at Roblox.
Will Roblox pay for my flight to attend the program?
- No, you will need to purchase your own way to California.
Does Roblox provide free snacks at the HQ?
- Yes! Tons