[CLOSED] 2020 REMOTE Fall Accelerator Opportunity

There is no educational requirement for being an Accelerator.

3 Likes

Anyone who is participating in the Accelerator Program will be expected to commit full-time to their projects (8 Hours a Day, M-F). Anyone who is unable to commit full-time can absolutely assist with the project, but should not be a part of the program itself.

2 Likes

Hello! I’m thinking of applying.

How would said meetings function considering timezones may affect teams being active at the same time?

:sob: I just accepted an intern position at a different company for the fall as I assumed this program was canceled

1 Like

This year is the first time we have done remote programs, and we are trying our best to make it work for all geographic locations. We have not yet had a participant with a time zone so far opposite PST. Unfortunately, a large part of being an Accelerator is communicating with staff and other developers in the program. For example, we require all Accelerators to have a daily stand-up at 10AM PST. Accelerators have Game Design talks at 3PM PST. Office Hours with employees is typically also at this time.

If the majority of your team is in a more applicable time zone, it may be easier to compensate (they could channel information to you). Being in the program may require some late evenings on specific days. I would recommend applying to the program and we can determine how big of a conflict this is through the interview process. If this becomes a long-term thing, we will look for better solutions for time zones opposite of PST.

5 Likes

Roblox is looking for a diverse range of participants for the program. Ideally, we want our participants to have already demonstrated the ability to create games or content. This is why we ask our participants to provide existing work in the application. We also want participants who are interested in providing feedback on the platform. Newcomers who have development experience off-platform are always welcome, but we do recommend someone in the team has a good understanding of Roblox as a Platform.

The goal of the program is the accelerate the growth of teams. This means we want teams to come into the program working on the game of their dreams; their passion. Teams who have worked on previous projects together is a huge plus. Teams who are formed purely for the Accelerator tend to have more team dynamic issues than those who were already a team prior to hearing about the program. This isn’t to say we don’t accept these teams. We want teams to prove they are capable of working together, so I highly recommend teams that are forming for the Accelerator create a game or demo prior to their interview(s) to get used to working together, and to demonstrate their ability to work together.

The project you work on for this program is up to you. We want to give you 100% creative freedom. We are looking for a diverse range of projects for each program. If many teams apply with similar games, we usually select 1-2 teams with the most unique pitch. Teams who have a vision for their end product are much more enticing than teams who have vague goals about what they’re looking to create. Passion is a driving force, and we look for this in our interviews.

Let me know if any of my answer was unclear, or if you would like more detail.

16 Likes

This amazing, I’ve personally not been able to apply for Accelerator programs in the past due to political relations between the countries regarding visas. Though now I have a chance and I’m definitely gonna give it a go.

I do have a question regarding the program,

The post says we can apply with new game ideas (providing an elevator pitch) OR we can apply with existing games (provide plans for the game)

My team has already been working on a game, although it is not released yet, we do plan on releasing it BEFORE the start date of the program. For our case what should we fill out in the form? provide an elevator pitch or provide our goals/plans (or both??)

5 Likes

If any programmers would like to work with me on a project pls reach me on discord at MissRileyLane #7112

2 Likes

Can’t wait! Hopefully will be able to find a partner in time to apply for this. Had so much fun during the last remote internship!

1 Like

AH! I’m going to be applying! Would love to learn more while I’m making a new home in our group!

Now that it’s remote as well, This is going to be perfect for me and my team! xoxo

2 Likes

Is the accelerator opportunity exclusively for game development, or is it open to additional endeavours (such as software) for the Roblox platform?

1 Like

Why is the program still 18+ if its completely remote now?

2 Likes

Due to legal reasons and everything of that sort. Even said above, There’s no bending that.

1 Like
  1. All team members need to apply with the same game. We want you to work on the game you’re passionate about.

2. The program is run from PST time, so we’ll need everyone to try and fit to PST as much as they can. The program is 3 months regardless of time zone.

4 Likes

The program is tailored for game development. We want teams that are working on a new game, or improving an existing one.

3 Likes

Legally, we are unable to accommodate anyone under 18, whether on-site or remote.

4 Likes

Given the understanding that you are looking for unique games with a vision, would it be better to give a description of any tech that might make the game stand out along with the unique gameplay aspects or would you recommend that the elevator pitch stays as short and catchy as possible, while lesser details are saved for a separate design document?

I would highly recommend finishing what you’re working on to demonstrate that you are capable of working together, and completing a project. Ideally, we are looking for games that are starting from the ground up, or already have established a foundation and are looking to add more on top.

7 Likes

Do the team members also have to be at the age of 18+ or is it something like 13+?

This is specific to Team Members not the Team Leaders or Participants of the program.

1 Like

Team members are the participants of the program, so, 18+.

1 Like