3D Import Recap [Apr - May 2023]

This? Versioning Models with 3D Importer

6 Likes

This makes a lot of sense, it’s not the easiest thing to support, but we will consider this issue as we work on improving the UX over the next few months. We are reworking a lot of systems behind the scenes, and resuming a failed import might be something we can support down the line.

7 Likes

Are you talking about something like a read-only MeshPart property that just shows you the triangle count? It’s an interesting idea; it wouldn’t really be owned by the teams working on import, but we can certainly surface it to the relevant people.

5 Likes

Exactly! Yes please.
Some use cases:

• Showing how many triangles are in your current selection
  • Displaying scene budgets for devs! (You are using 500k of 1m tris)
  • Heat maps

Many things :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Being able to do a heat map would be fantastic for optimization-focused developers

3 Likes

Perhaps that’s what I saw then, does this update the actual model or does it add a new model to your inventory and update the package?

2 Likes

The model and the package are the same thing. Updates to a package update the model itself.

For example, if you import 3 times, updating the package with each import, you will only have 1 model in your inventory, not 3

3 Likes

Will there ever be a way to combat these “Unable to import” problems? For example, a retry button?

2 Likes

I have tried multiple blank, fresh new places (~5) and it’s always the same repro as:

It appears to only work if I upload my place file to my profile. It will not work if I don’t (local place file).

I went to rename a mesh that I have and it just uploaded “NAME (1)” instead of “NAME”. If I use the old importer, it does the same. I thought this was just feature parity.

Appreciate it and thank you for the responses. I understand these things take time. At-least there’s some form of consideration.

2 Likes

Piggy-backing off of this: Descriptive errors would better benefit the user experience.

4 Likes

They’re awesome !!
If I may ask, what was the software used ?
And did you do the animation inside Roblox too ?
I need to make them for my game … so very interested.

2 Likes

Thanks for explaining, I’ll have a play with it, I wasn’t aware that’s how it worked, so the models in my inventory are packages that have been created by the importer.

3 Likes

Hmm, it’s difficult to know what the cause of the error is through the Bulk Import UI. Try using the 3D Importer in the ribbon bar of the Home Tab. The errors there can usually be accompanied by more descriptive errors to let you know what went wrong!

3 Likes

Simplify has this lil problem.

2 Likes

Very happy to see this set of words from Roblox. :+1:

Hi @tasavix,

I’ve run into an issue when importing custom characters to Roblox via the ‘Import 3D’ importer under the Avatar tab. It seems to be the same issue I helped someone else solve a while ago. (The Humanoid HipHeight is fine, the character isn’t touching the floor. There are no Custom Properties enabled.)

After importing the character model from Blender into Roblox studio, as a model, I rig the character using RigLite. I re-name meshparts and whatnot, but I don’t think that’s the issue.

Here’s a video of the custom character sliding around:

I’ve been able to fix the issue by taking all the contents of the ‘model’ and putting it inside a new ‘model’. (naming the new ‘model’ to be ‘StarterCharacter’ and put back under the ‘StarterCharacter’ ‘Folder’.) However, it is something I feel should be fixed.

It seems the issue is specifically with importing ‘only as a model’ from the setting inside the importer.

I could provide blender files and whatnot via a private message if that helps.

Thanks,
Reditect

4 Likes

Thanks for the report! Yes, feel free to DM me the files as well as any other context. I have some questions I’d like to ask too, such as if this is also happening when imported through the Legacy Avatar Importer or what happens when the “Only as a Model” setting is toggled off.
FWIW, looking at the old thread too, it doesn’t seem like an import bug, but rather something potentially deeper.

3 Likes

I found this post that shows a new bug with the 3D importer.

I am facing the same issue, working with Maya. Seems like something has changed because not more than a month ago the import worked great with much more meshes and tris.

Can someone explain this please?

I find it also weird that everytime you flag and import condition, the import re-renders the preview

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.