3D Layered Clothing is Now Available!

TO BE TOTALLY HONEST…

Im not a huge fan of Rthro, not a fan of the humanoid models that they have been pushing. I started this game in 2007, back when it was Roblox, and I had a great time! Roblox was a unique block, it was lego come to life in a way. When you push out the blox form from it, that unique feel it has always had, it isnt Roblox any more… It isnt the game I played as a young kid. Rthro is not Roblox, and it never will be. I understand where they want to go but they are going farther from Roblox.

Now… That being said, I don’t get any reason to hate this update as much as Rthro. 3D clothing while its different from the 2d clothing we grew up with, Is a fantastic direction for Roblox! When I play some of the modern games out there, UCG clothing is usually how it goes, it is a favorite for developers to use because it just works so well with the R15 model. There is so much practicality with 3D Layered clothing, so much potential for it. I am a huge fan in great leaps for the Roblox engine and this right here is a fantastic leap. 3D layered clothing is simply the way.

I know I am months late on this but, I saw a Roblox tweet recently that got some shade for the 3D layered clothing, but in this case I see no reason to hate. Rthro is what to hate not this!!!

10 Likes

I had this exact problem before
Make sure that your shirt mesh is inside of the main armature, or else you’ll get that odd effect

8 Likes

It’s most likely due to how i did the weights, I just completely gave up cause of how roblox made their weights you have to spend pointless hours manually setting every weight piece when you should have just been able to apply automatic weights with some touch ups.

6 Likes

I suggest retrying with that step included, because automatic weights have been pretty effective when I tried it.
It’s what got my shirt to actually work instead of clipping through the chest area

5 Likes

This is just awesome, is there a more simple way to explain how to use it via studio? just for the lazy minds like me who wont read it.

really hope to see 3D clothing/accessories for the UGC program, would spice the roleplay community more.

3 Likes

Has anyone tried the new editor? I will jump on that today. Very strange they didn’t think to post an announcement here. I just found it!

Introducing the Accessory Fitting Tool - Updates / Announcements - DevForum | Roblox

5 Likes

Strange, Do you think you can provide a short clip of the weightmap process for you?

4 Likes

Bummer. Once this releases, that should be the next thing you investigate! Maybe it should be called “R6+” or something.

2 Likes

I think instead of R6+ a more appealing method would be supported method for skinned R15. Still having the R6 looks while bending in the R15 motion, Yes their are developers that have created this but roblox hasn’t made it an official thing for all games to use by default in the avatar shop.

4 Likes

Eh, I agree but it kinda sidelines 2D clothing creators who are having a hard enough time already nowadays.

Plus it doesn’t even work with R6, which is still something users prefer a little more than R15.

And on top of that, UGC creators can’t even make their own 3D clothing yet.

Layered clothing sounds cool and all, but I feel like it needs another year of development since there’s clearly a few downsides to it.

It would also be nice if clothing designers had the option to turn their 2D designs into 3D layered clothing aswell.

( Also, I get that it sorta sounds like I’m complaining but I just simply think it’s better if they release a more finalized version of 3D clothing that’ll satisfy many people instead. )

3 Likes

That would be near impossible as since 2D clothing is literally only a colormap you would need the best of the best technology to properly detect what needs to be deformed slightly + what can go where, without any other data such as a heightmap don’t expect to see a way for 2D to 3D automatic conversion.

DO expect 3D clothing to come to the UGC Program which I assume will be on a different program similar to how the video frames were for a short period of time as the process for uploading Layered clothing is completely different than just creating a non-deformable hat and uploading it to the site like any other item.

I would love to see some of the past work I’ve seen from some of these creators such as @phoca you can review her twitter or her previous post she has great talent and I would really love to see some of her work on the Catalog.

and as a response of a previous post I had It appears roblox is on track for a full release near May or potentially even sooner. Do expect pushbacks as with a feature like this it could cause bugs with other functions on the platform so the date may be pushed back.

Do note Im not a roblox staff so I won’t be able to get exact dates only rough estimates

6 Likes

Ok this might make e return to always using Robloxion 2.0
The fact it fits so well, I just am amazed of this.

2 Likes

So where do we get a model to build the clothes off of? Like is there a body template somewhere we can use for blender like a mannequin?

4 Likes

Ok… I just tested it out on non-rthro characters (you know, the avatar types that people actually use). And uh… some of the clothes look ok! The rest however make you look like you’ve eaten nothing but chips for the past year. Like seriously, if Roblox wants layered clothing accessible for all avatar types, then fixing this should be their top priority. That’s not even the worst of it, actually. Put the shoes on any non-rthro character and it’ll look like your feet got thrown into a blender.

Overall, layered clothing has a lot of potential, and I really love the idea. It’s just that it’s so darn glitchy with non-rthro avatars. I mean, let’s face it: people aren’t gonna switch to Rthro because of layered clothing. Roblox knows this, they know Rthro has failed, and yet they keep trying to revive it. If they aimed layered clothing more towards the other avatar types, it would be a lot more popular.

6 Likes

The potential of not only implementing layered clothing into Roleplay & RPG-esque games, but also just extremely wacky looking characters is super strong and tempting. This is probably going to be one of the best updates in a long while that is all encompassing as well as pretty epic.

13 Likes

HSR doesn’t work in games that have team create enabled, even in live servers

live server in a team create enabled game

live server without team create enabled

5 Likes

Hello developers!

We are happy to announce that the LoadCharacterLayeredClothing Default is now set to Enabled on all experiences. Experiences with LoadCharacterLayeredClothing enabled will allow layered clothing and accessories to be equipped to avatar characters :coat:

If you wish to opt-out of this feature for your experience, set your StarterPlayer property LoadCharacterLayeredClothing to Disabled.

If you have already opted out of the layered clothing feature, your LoadCharacterLayeredClothing will remain set to Disabled.

As always, please let us know if you run into any bugs or issues.

Known Issue

We have identified a rare issue that can prevent the equipped layered clothing item from deforming to the avatar. This edge case can happen if you are using a local script that changes the humanoid hierarchy.

Temporary Workaround

While it is unlikely that you will experience this issue (we estimate it’s less than 1% of places), we would like to provide a temporary workaround until it is patched next week.

The deformation issue can be solved by adding a wait prior to applying the local script. This will allow the player model to completely load before applying the Layered Clothing item. You can accomplish this by using the code below or by using this example script:

LCLocalAttachmentExample.rbxl (66.2 KB).

wait(3)

script:WaitForChild("Folder").Parent = script.Parent:WaitForChild("HumanoidRootPart")

15 Likes

Finally, it’s fairly coming soon!

3 Likes

This can be considerer a glitch?
In Some clothes, it doesnt rightly detect where the outercage ends to make it transparent

1 Like

Can you show me that game? I want to test it out if it actually problem.

1 Like